In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber 45 acp

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
Some Kimbers are marked "custon shop" ,are these a higher grade, tighter and etc.? What do you all thank of the Ultra 11? And yes I'm from Mississippi. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With names like "Custom Shop" or "Ultra" one would expect better.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kimbers I have looked at do not rattle and shake like most other 45's. Slides are real tight. A Para I have has a lot of slop between slide and receiver.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure if Kimber has outgrown their quality issues, but I have heard nothing bad in the recent past. However, there is something I don't like about any aluminum alloy framed 1911 from them. I knew a guy that had all three sizes in their top shelf model, and they all had failure to function reliably. I would definately not go with one shorter than 4 inches.

You are better served by our Para, IMHO, unless you want to get into the Les Baer, Wilson catagory.

Best
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Many people that started making 1911 Clones as well as M14 clones started with a plain jane Military spec type fire-arm. Then the same makers realize custom gun smiths were building Match guns out of these PLAIN models . SO makers like Springfield and Kimber as well as a host of othes, Started making SPECIAL MODELS with all kinds of names MATCH,SUPER MATCH,TACTICAL,COMBAT and a host of other catch words. Are these worth big $$$ [?]. IMHO they might have more BLING with extra parts like yopu see on MATCH
    Firearms but just like a RACE CAR it is not about the sum of the parts BUT RATHER who put the parts together. The only way I would buy a MATCH pistol or rifle from a factory is if they would give me a guarantee as to group size with return for money back if said firearm did did not proform as noted.
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    karl, i agree. i do not think the kimber watever will shoot as well as my gold cup NM quote]Originally posted by perry shooter
    Many people that started making 1911 Clones as well as M14 clones started with a plain jane Military spec type fire-arm. Then the same makers realize custom gun smiths were building Match guns out of these PLAIN models . SO makers like Springfield and Kimber as well as a host of othes, Started making SPECIAL MODELS with all kinds of names MATCH,SUPER MATCH,TACTICAL,COMBAT and a host of other catch words. Are these worth big $$$ [?]. IMHO they might have more BLING with extra parts like yopu see on MATCH
    Firearms but just like a RACE CAR it is not about the sum of the parts BUT RATHER who put the parts together. The only way I would buy a MATCH pistol or rifle from a factory is if they would give me a guarantee as to group size with return for money back if said firearm did did not proform as noted.
    [/quote]