In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith .38 special pre M+P i think

HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
what do you guys think this will bring at auction?

can't find a recently sold one in similar condition

link to pics

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/img2808x.jpg/

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/img2807c.jpg/

clicking next here should scroll through about 6 pics
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only loaded the one pic for me. Those old S&W can bring decent bucks. I would use photobucket and it would post the pics in the thread instead of having to click a link. There is a sticky at the top of the front page that shows how to do it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't hardly find a early, 100+ year old M & P. With what looks like it's original box. Unfortunately it has what appears to be some very rough abrasions/storage markings, that will turn S & W collectors off. My experience with big buck collectors is that they would accept a 90+% gun with very little blue/holster wear, but nothing in the condition of the M & P pictured. Because of this I don't see it being a big buck collectors item. IMHO $400-$600 with the box being a major part of the value.

EDIT #1, I don't know what your definition of spotting is, but it wouldn't fly with the folks who collect Smiths. Your own close-up photos of the left side of the frame shows what appears to be abrasions through the finish due to improper storage/handling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    Only loaded the one pic for me. Those old S&W can bring decent bucks. I would use photobucket and it would post the pics in the thread instead of having to click a link. There is a sticky at the top of the front page that shows how to do it.

should be a window on the right side that says "next":

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/img2807c.jpg/
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that you have a .38 M&P 2nd Model (Model of 1902).

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Don't hardly find a early, 100+ year old M & P. With what looks like it's original box. Unfortunately it has what appears to be some very rough abrasions/storage markings, that will turn S & W collectors off. My experience with big buck collectors is that they would accept a 90+% gun with very little blue/holster wear, but nothing in the condition of the M & P pictured. Because of this I don't see it being a big buck collectors item. IMHO $400-$600 with the box being a major part of the value.

It's more like he bluing is spotty, but it's not worn through and there is no rust

$500 would be good, I just don't want to list it no reserve and have nobody notice what it is and some guy scoop it up for 90bucks
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I believe that you have a .38 M&P 2nd Model (Model of 1902).

Neal
    Based upon some of the turn of the early 1900's S&W model research I've being doing lately, I'd say neal has nailed it.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I agree with rufe-snow, I would bid up to $500 if I wanted that one. But it all depends on what the market supports in a given phase of the moon. I won a nicer-condition Colt Army Special in .32-20 from G.S.D. for half of that, the bidding just did not go any higher. Conversely, I've seen bidding go nuts when two people apparently had the same hole in their collection. Anything can happen.

I would set the starting price at whatever reflects the profit you would like on your investment, and not even bother with a reserve, but that's just me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone. We have 165 in it, in my opinion it is the lowest cost, longest in inventory firearm in stock and I am going to make a case for listing it at .01 NR.

If it sells for 50 bucks and you never see me again and you hear yelling coming from Bham AL and the sound of someone being run out of town on a rail...

I'm heading for FL, and I'm going to sneak into the Kel Tech factory every night and build 5 KSGs. With 5 KSGs on hand everyday I will become the most powerful arms dealer in the USA...

and you can say you knew me back when..
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So long as you post a link on the general discussion side to the auction(title it Shameless Plug) I can darn near gurantee you will get more than $165 for that old S&W so long as it is mechanically sound. Not everyone is looking for collector grade guns...lots of us like nice shooter grade guns at reasonable prices..