In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short stroke?

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
My RIA in 38 Super was malfunctioning today. It would fire, and eject, but the hammer would follow the slide back to the full rest position. Also, the slide would not lock open after last round. I suspect the slide is not going all the way to the rear failing to cock the hammer or lock open.

It did this with three different batches of full power ammo. All the ammo worked fine in another gun.

Any thoughts on how to correct this? Something I can do or check or is a professional smith required?

Update: Upon closer examination even when I manually work the slide the hammer follows it back to rest. I can pull the hammer with my thumb and it will catch, and it will not push off, but it won't cock to firing position by working the slide. Also, the half-cock position is nonexistent.

BTW- This is the 2nd time I have fired this pistol and it worked flawlessly the first time. WTH?
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sounds like the three leaf spring is fouled up each leaf has it's own purpose. The center leaf works the disconnector /sear I suspect this is where your problem is also .If you installed a recoil buffer this could be the cause of BOTH failures. Not HARD to work on a 1911 type fire control system parts. however this is not something you want to mess with unless you know how each part interact with each other part. I would not load over 2 rounds at any time until I corrected both problemsYOU might get a pistol that will fire all the rounds in the magazine This is not good may jump out of your hand 1/2 way through a magazine. [V][:(!][xx(]

EDIT For rong I wonder where that would put the late Jimmy Clark. He did John Browning one better he made a 4 leaf replacement spring for the 1911 he split the center leaf and uses one part to engage the disconnector and the other directly on the sear . I use them on my match pistols makes it almost like a 2 stage trigger lets you set up a nice minimum LEGAL weight without the chance of that embarrassment of slam fire[:0]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Amazing.
    During my career as a Mech Desig
    I've used compression,extension and
    even band springs for different applications.
    But each and every one performed one function
    and one function only.

John Browning must have been a genius
    "out of place" in history.One spring
    with 3 split leaves for 3 functions.
    Incredible!

ps: I'm in no way whatsoever trying to
    compare my self to John Browning.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of the disconnector malfunction you've killed the half cock notch and likely the sear as well.
    This is a dangerous pistol as it stands.The easiest and cheapest solution is to replace hammer+ sear + trigger/sear/ disconnector spring.
    You could also take it to a gunsmith and spend $50 plus the above parts.