In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30mm Scope on a Mini-14

wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Burris TAC30 scope to put on my Ruger Mini-14 Tactical and am about to send my rings in to ruger to exchange for 30mm rings. Does anybody know what height rings I need? I was thinking it'd have to be the high but was wondering if I could get away with the medium rings?

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How big is the bell? Also I hope your scope will be able to take a beating on top of the reciever.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That Burris TAC-30 will be able to withstand ANYTHING the Mini-14 can dish out. I would not say that about a TASCO, Bushnell, or Simmon's.

#4's should work(they are high's), but I would go with #5's(extra High), just to be sure, and incase you want something bigger...then you don't have to do it twice.

Best
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he goes with the extra highs, won't he have a problem maintaining a solid cheek weld on the stock?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    If he goes with the extra highs, won't he have a problem maintaining a solid cheek weld on the stock?

He could have that problem, but he will not have the flexibility. These are not built like bolt action rifles, where you have a bit of room to play with either. You should not have a problem maintaining your cheek weld, once it is established, as recoil is minimal.

Best

EDIT 1

They only make one version of the TAC-30, and it is a 1-4x24. Uing the rings for the lowest possible posistion on that, would not allow ANY wiggle room for scopes with a bigger front bell.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    got to know scope bell size 32.42.52,62mm
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    question could be answered without too much guess work with exact model of tac30 scope and/or size of of bells
  • Options
    wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a straight 30mm tube, no bell.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this posturing and flexing is useless to the topic and Ask the Experts. Stop it now.

Best.