In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Storing your handguns

Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, but I can't find an intelligent answer. Is it better to leave your handguns in their original hard case, stored in the safe or out in the open in the safe.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no problem if properly lubed to live in their factory box but I'd have at least one that was ready.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If it came in a plastic hard case then I don't see any issue with keeping it stored in that case. If it came in a cardboard box, like many older handguns used to, then then cardboard can absorb moisture and that will not be good for long term storage.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plus, the foam in older shipping boxes, as well as the "velvet" & foam lining in display boxes & luggage-style cases may deteriorate & stain/etch the metal & wood parts of your guns.

"Out in the open" may not be as good as stored inside gun socks, as you don't want storage dings from moving guns around in your safe.

VPI paper inside of a heavy plastic zip bag should also work well.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Neal (as usual) makes a very good point about the foam. The manufacturer sometimes used what was basically "camping mattress pad" foam in their cases and after time exposed to grease and oil that stuff will deteriorate leaving an sort of grainy/greasy film that is an absolutely mess. Most good cases now will use a foam of the type that is better suited for use with firearms but I still don't like lined cases. If the hard case simply has the handgun "fitted" with no liner than I say yes but I am suspicious of any type of foam or lining inside the case.
  • Options
    Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    Good information. Thanks guys
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition some type of moisture control depending on climate. I have a golden rod but I have seen low watage light bulbs used to good effect.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Simple Man
    I know this topic has been beaten into the ground, but I can't find an intelligent answer. Is it better to leave your handguns in their original hard case, stored in the safe or out in the open in the safe.

Don't forget that safe space is "prime real estate" so to speak.

If you've got the space to keep all your guns in boxes, in your safe, that would be best (with the caveats already mentioned).

But I think many gun "nuts" are short on safe space, and less boxes = more guns in the same safe.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beantown, makes a good point. Too many boxes= not as many guns per safe=buy another safe. Pretty soon, the house can start running out of places to put your safes.

That said, I personally store the factory boxes or hardcase, elsewhere, and store the handguns on racks on the top shelves in my safes. That way, I can see any issues arising, and they are actually much easier to take out and wipe down, without having to take each and every one out of the box, and put it back in.

It all depends on what climate you live in, but all guns in a box or not should be taken out periodically and wipped down...in a hard case or not.

Best
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem I have seen while dealing with the 'public' is people leaving them in leather holsters for long periods.
    In the safe in a plastic box is fine. Use some type of dehumidifier in the safe to keep them dry.[:)]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me, humidity isn't an issue because my safe is in a temperature and humidity controlled area. My Smith & Wesson's are stored in their original boxes and wrapped in their original oiled papers. The same is true for my Colt revolvers.

I store all of my 1st Generation Single Actions in PROTECTA-GUN boxes and I use his Double Waxed Paper to line the inside of the boxes. With the supplied labels placed on the ends they neatly and safely stack inside my safe and each Single Action is readily identifiable just by looking at the ends of the boxes. I've used these for years and personally wouldn't use anything else.

For the handguns that don't have their original boxes; I also purchase PROTECTA-GUN boxes that are specifically made for them.

http://www.protecta-gun.com

I, personally, don't want any plastic boxes or foam inside my safe just in case there are any outgassing issues, but that's just me.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!