In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Grading an AR15 from worst to best

Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I'm in the market for an AR15, but there are so many to choose from. I know that Stag, DPMS and Rock River are entry level rifles, but what about middle of the road rifles. Ones that are better than say the Bushmaster but not as expensive as LWRC.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The variation I was issued about 40 years ago was made by Colt and it was the worst gun I've ever touched. Evidently the gun has been improved.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you run a search for "AR" in the archives (the SEARCH button at the top of the page), you should be able to find just about every everything you want to know about AR-type rifles.

Neal
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Better" in what way?

I'd argue that for most casual shooters (which is most shooters, period) the entry level AR-15 *IS* better than a more expensive custom-like gun, because realistically most shooters are never going to take the gun into actual combat, stress the gun to its limits, run tens of thousands of rounds through it, etc. By the time you're ready for the $2000 gun, you won't need to ask "Ask the Experts" because you'll have the experience you need to make the decision by yourself!

I'll raise a few more points:

-Technically the only maker of an AR-15 is Colt, though pretty much everyone uses the term generically to refer to this pattern of gun.

-The market for (non Colt!) AR-15s is HIGHLY saturated and competitive, to the point where, with a few exceptions, you pretty much get what you pay for.

-That said, even the entry level guns from the major makers are pretty good. There are better guns out there, sure, but you're not going to go wrong with any of the "name" makers like Stag, DPMS, etc.

-First figure out what exactly you want to do with this gun, then consider which models meet your needs. Defense, hunting, recreation, etc.

If you just want an AR-15 because you feel like you "should have" an AR-15 (because that's what everyone has, and you feel some vague sense that its a nice thing to have in case of a gunfight), then any gun in a "combat" configuration will probably do.

-Don't forget to budget for accessories. Optical sights are expensive.

EDIT:
    Just to be clear here, when I say "entry level", I'm referring the basic "no-frills" model.

The bigger manufacturers like Stag, Olympic Arms, Bushmaster, etc, offer these entry level guns, mid-level guns, and expensive guns with more bells and whistles on them.

The quality of the builds aren't necessarily better with the more expensive guns, they just have more expensive options (ie parts) on them. You shouldn't assume that just because the word "Bushmaster" (or whatever) is on the gun, that its a "low end" gun, or that you're going to see worse performance with one than a better true custom gun. Ultimately, the quality of any gun comes down to the quality of the parts used, and the quality of the build, and most of these makers are using the same parts from a small number of manufacturers.

Its possible to spend more on custom guns from any number of high-end smaller manufacturers or custom shops (Noveske, Defensive Edge, LaRue Tactical, etc) with something like Rock-River arms being in the middle, but apart from bragging rights at the range, and pride of ownership, if you're not a high-end user you probably won't see any functional benefit.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock River does have entry level guns but you can build one or order one that would turn an entry level gun into a mid level or higher. I have a RRA UTE2 and it has been a great carbine... Rock River has several accuracy options too. They have guns that will give 3/4" MOA at 100 yards up to versions that do 1.5" at 100. About the only AR you don't want are ones from Vulcan , Hesse & Blackthorne.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need to know what you expect of the tool.
    Goes bang every time? Handles most sane choices of ammo? Accepts all inspec magazines? Shoots a 2" 100 yard group with at least a couple of ammo types/brands?
    This criteria can be filled by a large number of AR choices w/o spending a month's pay.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several good ones out there, and the ones you talked about, and not just ENTRY LEVEL name brands. They are well respected among their peirs, and have a long history. they make several models, and among them are ENTRY LEVEL firearms, without any frills, like forward assist, dust cover, or shell defelector. There are also many mid, and upper level platforms amongst those manufacturers listed, as well as Colt, Double Star, and S&W to make a mention of a few.

There are, however, name brands you need to steer clear of, they are Century Arms International(CAI), Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne(same manufacturer with 3 different names they gave themselves, trying to outrun their quality issues), and some that are obviously but together from pieces from this mfg, and that mfg. The manufactures of the latter might be ok, but the legitimacy of the BUBBA putting it together might not be.

Peersonally, the piston guns are more hype, in my eyes, than they are stated to be. There have been several issues with tilted bolt carriers and such, in these piston guns. I think Mr. Stoner was well aware of the piston driven AK-47, when he designed the AR-15. I do not think his design intentions were for naught.

I would stick with one of the more common names like Colt, DPMS, RRA, STAG, Armalite, Olympic, S&W, Double Star, or Bushmaster.

Best
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check this out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB# # 290066332

Thanks!!!
    .d.a.stearns .......... a.k.a. .......... SKEEZIX .....................
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mm8nambu :
    Thanks !!!
    I did not know how to do that !
    d.a.
  • JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned as long as CAI-Century International, Blackthorne-Hesse-Vulcan are avoided you should be okay. The AR15('AR' stands for 'Armalite') and technically the only actual 'true' AR15 would be an original Armalite from the original Armalite co. and not the one today which was designed by Eugene Stoner and sold to/stolen? by Colt and to the us government via DARPA for the us military along with the TDP technical data package[guidelines for manufacturing].

And contrary to popular belief the us military has never used the AR15 and only the M16>M4 which is the military designation for the rifle and has variations that the AR15 does not. Anyway some quality manufacturers of the AR15 although with different attributes and options are Smith & Wesson, Colt, Bushmaster, Noveske, Armalite, Saber Defense, Daniel Defense, POF, Rock River Arms, Wilson Combat, Barrett, Knights Armament, LWRC, Remington, DPMS and some others and that should give you several to choose from.

Regards