In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK 47 Pistol Grip Question

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I know very little about AK 47s, but a friend aquired one and needs some help. The rifle he picked up has no pistol grip - nothing but a square hole in the bottom of the receiver. I've poked around my favorite "how to" site, AKA the "Numrich Schematics" and so far as I can figure some sort of plastic insert, a screw and a screw "washer" is needed to bolt the PG to the receiver - is that about it?

The plastic base drops into the receiver cutout, the PG is slipped over then anchored by the screw?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Typically there is a sort of T-shaped metal block that is threaded, drops into teh receiver cut out and then projects below the receiver. The pistol grip is hollow so you slide the screw into the grip and then thread it into the block. No doubt there is the same sort of block made out of plastic and accomplishes the same thing. There are a couple of different screw lengths and if I remember correctly the ChiCom grips need the longer screw.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

We really need to have some more information, like what model it is, and possibly a picture. Some are milled receivers, some are stamped, some have straight stocks, some underfolders, and some side folders. They take slightly different iterations of grips, sometimes, depending on country of origin, too.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The best I can do to describe it is that it carries a nonfolder, straight wood stock. I'd say the receiver is stamped but so far as country of origin - don't really know. He's bought an ATI stock & pistol grip set up for the thing - not the way I would go but what the heck.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Well it only took all night for Photobucket to finally come across with posting one of my photos. Has that site ever worked correctly?

If you look in the lower right of the photo you can see the grip screws and their bases. Also notice the slight difference in screw lengths:

AKparts4_zps904c2e57.jpg
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark nailed it.

Here's where he can buy the parts $7.99 for the pistol grip screw and nut:
    centerfiresystems.com/AK-P55-A.aspx

Or:
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-NSK.html

I'd recommend a US made pistol grip:
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-211B.html

Lastly, tell him to pick up one of these stock sets. Best deal out there in polymer stocks that have a metal heat shield in the lower forearm:

centerfiresystems.com/STKAKA-BUL.aspx

Note the above stock kit works on a stamped receiver rifle. A milled receiver rifle uses a different buttstock.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now we're starting to get off topic, but I've tried this Israeli one and really like it. It feels good and fills up the hand nicely. It also has the little "battery" compartment inside (which IMO is good for sticking a pair of earplugs in!).

Its "intended" for Galil rifles, but it should just fit fine on standard AK rifles too. CDNN still has these for under $20, which is a pretty good price, I think:

p31.jpg
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hogue also mikes a nice grip.

[img][/img]MVC-AKSCOPE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys - I'm familiar with KVAR, have their sliding rail scope mount for the MAS 49/56. I'll grab the screw, nut and base from them. He's already picked up a pistol grip and stock set.