In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 97 12ga.

mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
A local shop has come up with a model 97, about a 30 inch barrel, slick old shotgun. The owner says the serial number dates it to about 1909. Everything about it seems good. I was wondering if it is safe to shoot with regular loads. I know it isn't damascus, but how does an old action like that handle today's shells?

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have another Winchester, from the same guy. I think it's a 1928 build. Any more info on condition, and possible value on this gun? I actually like this gun cause of it's age. I may see if I can buy this one off of him. Once again, thanks for the help. Oh yeah, Serial # is 8018XX

87whole_zps1c3c0489.jpg

87left_zps8f8741b3.jpg

87right_zps105b7f8c.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made late 1925.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a typical used M97. Value is determined by bore and wood condition as well as the lock up of the barrel and receiver. The blue or lack there-of is typical and does not affect value. I would estimate the value at $400.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The bore is perfect, functions just fine. Here are some pics of the wood. I wouldn't mind keeping this gun for myself. I'm quite fond of it.
    97right_zps4ac3c0c2.jpg
    97r2_zps5a1e2a83.jpg
    97left_zps0e9cbd6e.jpg
    97l2_zps12f6a745.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's in great shape for a well used and carried gun. No big gouges, dents, or other abuses to the metal. Wood seems nice too. How tight is the take down assembly/mechanism?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I think it's in great shape for a well used and carried gun. No big gouges, dents, or other abuses to the metal. Wood seems nice too. How tight is the take down assembly/mechanism?

I would call it tight and firm. Doesn't take much to move it.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    400.00 (not 40.00per 1st post) gun all day long if not a bit more.Cowboy action shooters eat them up. Well,not me,I like my coach gun,but other SASS shooters love them.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mort4570
    40.00 gun all day long if not a bit more.Cowboy action shooters eat them up. Well,not me,I like my coach gun,but other SASS shooters love them.

I think you mean $400.00, not $40.00. [;)]
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i bought a reblued 97 to shoot,it did,t need reblued. the sons of the man who had owned them took a older model 70 a model 12 and the 97 and had them reblued(none needed it) for his birthday. his widow sold them and got the 97,i wish i could have bought the other two. according to T.S. albert.