In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with a Star?

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
My neighbor asked if I could look at his gun and maybe fix it. It is a Star Made by Intrarms Alexandria,Va. On the right side it has STAR, EIBAR WITH A SYMBOL JUST FORWARD OF THAT. On the right side, on the forward part of the slide it says FIRESTAR. The caliber is on the chamber 40S&W. The Safety lever, ambi, just flops down when raised up.It won't stay in any postion except the down position. I think I know what the problem is, someone has been into the grip area and had the grips off and lost the Safety detent ball bearing. I read this quote,"There is one good warning not included in the manuals. Use some caution when stripping these pistols. The safety lever is only prevented from over-rotating by the grip panels. If they are removed for cleaning or maintenance, the safety can be rotated too far, and the detent plunger will fly our. This is a very, very, small part and will almost certainly become lost. The safety lever is very inportant to the safe operation of the gun, so use caution not to lose the detent pin. If you do loose this part, a very tiny ball bearing can replace it perfectly, but good luck getting ahold of one." I need your opinion as to if I am right about the floppy safety lever? I don't even want to open the grips after reading this. I would rather not get into it if this part has already been lost, know what I mean?
Also, can anyone think of a place where someone might get this, "very, very small part"? Or a readable parts breakdown for this pisol. I have tried the usual, Brownell's, Natchez, Numrich but they want to know what model and I don't know, I think it is a M40, but I am not sure. Can someone give me some guidence as to what model I have? Where I might be able to find the part? Or your suggestions on if I should take the grip panels off and check for the very, very small part? Thank you for your time to answer my query!! Bob

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,988 ******
    edited November -1
    this is what the make Gunsmiths for, most any GOOD gunsmith will have an assortment of 'ball bearing' detents.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun was MADE in Spain, and IMPORTED by Interarms.
    The safety does not use a ball bearing detent. It uses a small plunger that fits inside the spring (which is likely also missing.) The plunger fits the bore diameter of the hole and is rounded on the safety side. It is turned down on the other end to fit tightly in the spring. Simple to make if you have the spring.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bob, just noticed you're about 9 miles from me. I can make the detent and spring for you. PM me.
  • Options
    74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey all, I got into the Firestar, removed the grips and found the the plunger detent was not there but the spring still was. Used a piece of drill bit, rounded one end and tapered the other to sit into the end of the spring, installed the detent, oiled the spring and slid the safety lever over the detent plunger and that fixed the problem. That is why I come to GunBroker Forum for my answers, because you all know your s:::!! Thanks to all who replied. You members are the greatest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I love happy endings![:)]