In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 AAC Reloading - Lead Bullets

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
I reload for a few 300 AAC rifles and am looking for an economical way to feed an AR 15. The loads used are mostly subsonic, sending costly 180 to 220 grain jacketed bullets 50 yds or so downrange doesn't make much more sense. I've read of folks using lead and can probably cobble together some loads - has anyone else done this and can provide info on what works best? How important is bullet profile? I see alot of lead stuff as flat(er) pointed.

When reloading lead am I going to need to flare the case mouth, or is there a bevel base and bullet diameter that will allow me to seat normally?

Most of the hardcast bullets I see are good to about 1,600 fps. I plan on staying at or below that, will probably do mostly +200 grain at about 1,200 and experiment with some 165 at 1,500.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem will be gas port and lead shavings crudding it up

Bullet profile may affect how well it feeds from a mag
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1, I had one of the gas operated Desert Eagle pistols years ago.Even shooting only jacketed bullets. I got hit by all kinds of crud, blown out of the receiver by gas pressure.

Likely with the DI mechanism, and much higher pressures of the Whisper cartridge. It will be a lot worst. Specially if the lead particles partially block the gas tube. Causing chunks of lead to blow back through the receiver.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good hard cast bullets might do OK. I shoot lots of lead in rifles. Most times a good champher is enough, sometimes an oversize inside expander ball is needed.

I like the Loverin style bullets the best (short rounded nose, lots of grease groves). Pointy ones like 311413 170 gr might do OK. Depends on case neck length and OAL to fit in a magazine.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like the current fashion is powder coated bullets. Looks like a lot of work and a good deal of equipment, but the bullets themselves are cheap.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Looks like the current fashion is powder coated bullets. Looks like a lot of work and a good deal of equipment, but the bullets themselves are cheap.

I thought that powder coating was a electrostatic painting process? How are the individual bullets handled so an even coating is achieved?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know of any cast bullets with an appropriate nose contour for this application. In addition, I second the opinion that cast bullets are not optimum for the gas system.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering about the gas system too. But there seems to be a fair number of folks doing this and I've seen some 200 and 238 grain hardcast bullets being promoted for the AAC. Another possibility is plated, haven't found anything in 30 cal that's over 150 grain though.