In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8mm FN 49

gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
My FN 49 8mm Egypt. has a I-pc. broken fir. pin, missing the front end half-inch section, just as it narrows down to its smallest business end dia. Also, the fir. pin safety stop is missing. Sellers parts lists show the following.
Fir. pin rear with slot
Fir. pin rear w/o slot
Fir. pin front
Fir. pin safety stop type 1
Fir. pin safety stop plate type......I don't ever see a 1-pc. fir. pin listed.
If I get a 1-pc. f. pin......or....a front and rear 2-pc.,(the rear having no slot),...do I need a safety stop plate type 1...or...why, if no fir. pin slot, would a safety stop even be needed? Naturally, I can see putting in a safety stop (type 1) if the fir. pin rear has a slot for it. Should I play it safe and get a rear, with slot....front,....and safety stop type 1. The pc. that was broken had no slot. I realize this a kinda long winded and involved inquiry for the average gun nut, but, on the strength that somebody might know what this is about,...can I get a little love here?
Bob

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/FNAlsoSeeBROWNING-33242/1949-36248.htm?results=All

I would just fix the existing firing pin. Maybe bubba made a one piece FP. Did it work correctly before?

At one time I consider getting one of those Egyptian FN-49. They all had crappy bores. New barrels were around but the word at the time was IIRC 50% of the receiver cracked pulling the barrel. A buddy lost his that way and I lost interest. A different buddy had a Hakim that was interesting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah,...now that's gonna be my next thingie,...my Hakim is a single shot. We once compared extractors, and you sure could see that mine was w-a-y shorter. Always hated to send for one because I just knew that the same mistake would reappear in the mail. Never can run across one where-ever I'm at.
    Bob
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golden State Arms (defunct now) installed those one piece FPs. Egyptian bolts didn't have the stop, but some of the bolt carriers are milled for it. The '06 bolts had the stop, and the Century Arms rebuilds used the '06 bolt in the 8mm's.
    If your bolt carrier is milled for it, install the stop with a 2 piece firing pin. Slam fires in a FN are unpleasant.[B)]
    Get one of these for your Hakim, it'll extract just fine after that.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/952560.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm bringing this up to the top simply because I feel I've gotta show my appreciation. Trap 55,...that was one sweet piece of info,....on both accounts,...that was nicely dug-out info that we'd never heard, even way back when Century Arms 1st. had that stuff. I now feel like I've got a handle on it all now....thanx.