In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

IOR Valdada

RauchRauch Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
[?] Anyone know anything about these scopes?? I am looking at the M2, or the super M2 to top my H&K SL8-1. Any info on these, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated. They seem to be a good deal but.......

Comments

• RauchRauch Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm leaning towards a fixed 10x Valdada for my Anzio 50 with Burris signature rings to cant the scope upwards about 25 minutes.

The recoil of this rifle is extremely light but I still wonder if the rings will hold up. I am quite confident in the scope, based on what I've heard.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    But WHAT?! Very nice scope, little too European for my liking, but great to top off your SL8!

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • kenjs1kenjs1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure what you mean by the M2 but IOR's by all accounts are excellent scopes. There is some great information available, which I suspect you may already know, about them. I ordered a 6x42 in a 1" tube and got sent a 26mm tube which I returned. I can tell you from the one I had it was extremely clear and revealing in low light. The adjustments were excellent hand fingered, very tight clicks (no friction - no slot). The reticle is etched into the glass, which is made by Schott in Germany and possibly the most highly thought of manufacturer in the world. They will no longer be available in 1" tubes so it is 30mm or nothing. I agonized between the IOR and sticking with the known constant of a Leupold, until, I talked to a couple of different sellers. Every single one of them told me the IOR was superior and on par with scopes costing well over twice as much. In fact, the Valdada looks identical to the Schmitt & Bender. While it may not be quite that good, that is closer to what it was being compared to by the folks I spoke to. I would say a downside may be that it is a bit large and is quite a bit heavier than say a Leupold M8 - about 6- 8 oz heavier and just under two inches longer if memory serves me. That didn't bother me. What does bother me about them is that I can't get one and am being given a Meopta as a substitute - which in of itself is okay but it is taking weeks to get it. Makes me worry about any warranty issues that may pop up. I have had limited warranty experience with Leupold and am already sold on their customer commitment. Hope this proves useful to you.
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Institute Optik of Romania (IOR). Good glass. Certainly not on the par with some upper crust optiks companies, but due to the currency difference (Euro not totally standard) it is a good buy.
    Schott did make most of their glass, but was still finished/assembled in Romania.

Personally prefer MetOpta from that region.

kenjs1, Have MeOpta in stock at all times. What are you looking for?
    Email is: jabsao@msn.com

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • kenjs1kenjs1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns - just got my Meopta in this weekend and have to agree with you that I like it better than the IOR. It has finger adjustments which was a nice surprise and I absolutely love the reticle. Hadn't had a chance to check it out in low light yet. I did notice some glare but will wait to pass total judgement after I getr to the range and see what it loks like now that it is mounted.
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you like it. There is a difference.
    Email me, jabsao@msn.com, and I'll email or fax you some instructions on proper initial set up.

Happy Bullet Holes!