In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x54 hunting ammo

johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know were to get some cheap hunting ammo in the 7.62x54

Comments

• Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    There is Barnaul I've found it around 7 to 8 bucks a box and Sellier & Bellot for 9 to 10 a box, I think even Wolf came out with some. Just do a search for them.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wolf,..brown bear,.,..alot of people make a 200gr. soft point hunting round,..would should be the easiest to find,..brown bear should be the cheapest @3-4 bucks for 20

are you useing a mosin nagant or some version of a dragonov?

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'm using a mosin nagant
    i have found the 203gr but every one told me to stay away from it sence i'm using the carbine they said it isnt to accurate. i have found so 147gr silver tips are they any good for hunting. a guy at work said he uses them in his 30-06
  • Options
    tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a 200 gr bullet should work fine in a long barrel as a short one, they have in mine. and no a 147 gr silver tip would be bad for hunting . first there full metal jacket steel core ammo and would just zip right through any thing shy of a bison they wont expand at all ,and if your buddy at work is shooting them in a 30-06 he's either BSing you or a lucky fool30-06 is (.308) dia. 7.62Russian is ( .310-.312 dia. but hea its his gun and face.do a search for 7.62X54R here on GB and see what you find as far as soft point ammo and go from there.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i run 180-203gr. soft points thru both of my mosin's (M-38,.M-44) no problem at all. mosin's may not be able to shoot a hair off a flys @$$, but they are easily accurate to use on big game.

hunting with FMJ could be done,..but i woudent recomend it,..like said above it would zip right on thru,...then you gotta chase a wounded anamal god knows how far,..

hell if all you have is the light 147gr ammo ill happly trade bullits with you,....i like to keep the lighter bulits for my rominan draggie clone (psl)

if you can buy ammo online wolf and brownbear will be your best/cheapest bet,..just remember for hunting you want a soft point bullet between 180-200gr.

good luck,..happy hunting

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    he wasnt shooting the 30-06 in the nagant but he said that the 30-06 silver tips damn near gutted the deer itself.. made a hell of a mess with the inside. accourding to him..
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    your friend may have been talking about modern 30-06 Winchester Silver tips which use a soft lead tip and is very good for hunting
  • Options
    eaziseazis Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello check with www.ammunitionstore.com or call 330-498-0864