In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CVA Firebolt Magnum

BIGHEAD TBIGHEAD T Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited January 2006 in Ask the Experts
Just got a brand new .45 cal as well as .50 cal gun. Has both barrels. Will primarily hunt whitetails. Any suggestions on a quality base ring setup? I'm contimplating a Simmons Aetec. Good move or not? We only have one week so I don't want to break the bank on optics. Suggested loads welcome.

Comments

• Options
    NHcodyNHcody Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simmon will be just fine. Try so stay with 100 grains of powder anymore you usally would burn all of it. You'll fine it more accurate with 100 grains. 2 Pyrodex pellets work the best in the 50 cal. Try T/C shockwaves 250 grain sabots I've the best results with them. Plenty of knock dwon power. Good luck
  • Options
    strokn47265strokn47265 Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 150 grains triple 7 pellets and powerbelt 295 gr. hollow points with remington kleanbore primers. These primers used with 777 will leave alot less fouling in front of the breech plug and around the burn area. I also clean in between rounds 1 wet patch and then hit it with 2 dry patchs and i dont even take breech plug out. I figure if my first shot at a deer, etc is gonna be with a clean barrel then i will clean in between rounds will i'm sighting in. I get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.... no sand bags or bench rest.
  • Options
    strokn47265strokn47265 Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Bushnell dusk to dawn 4-12x40 with adjustable objective. This really helps with very low light conditions. It works very good for 100-130.00 dolars.