In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1895 Winchester 405

escape 2escape 2 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
My question is this, I have a customer who is wanting to restore his 1895 to original condition, only collector grade, He had a different stock made for this piece, it looks nice. Does anyone know if the original stock, for that time period was serial numbered, and by putting a different original stock change anything? I would think that for collector grade everything would need to be original. All the numbers match and total condition should be excellent. What is your thought?

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For full value yes it would have to have the orginal stock. If he intends on keeping it and shooting it then probably it isn't a big a deal as only he would know. I have a early made 1894 Winchester rifle that someone back in the '30's put on a carbine stock-it does detract from the value but I enjoy shooting it, I bought it for an excellent price and I like the looks of it more than the crescent stock. Bert H would probably be able to tell you if the stocks are numbered--If they are I would imagine the number is hiden under the butt plate or under the tang--that caliber wouldn't have been a military round so doubtful it would be impressed on the outside. BTW look at the pic in my sig line[:D][:D] it's Teddy with his .405
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello escape2,

The original stocks were not serial numbered to the specific gun that they were made for.

That said, in some instances (almost always on the Deluxe guns), Winchester did stamp an assembly number in the butt stock (normally in the inletted upper tang channel, but sometimes (and much less frequently), on the end grain of the butt stock under the butt plate.

The fact that the stock is not factory original does indeed detract from the collector value. A very well fitting original stock off of a different gun will return most of the value though.