In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What shotgun

tufunuf2tufunuf2 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
What do you recommend for an inexpensive (around $300) pump shotgun for home protection and some light squirrel hunting? What model and gauge do you prefer?

I am looking to buy one soon.

Thanks - Tuf

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with Rem 870, and maybe expand the budget a bit. I hunt squirrels with a .22, but would not think a defense gun and a squirrel gun the same. 12 for defense, 20 or 28 for squirrel. 20 would work for either.
  • Options
    rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500 12 gauge. You can get anything tactical for one and they are reliable but cheap. I have 3 and love every one.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 870 express. About $200.00 on the auction.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
  • Options
    huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with a 20 gauge 870. Maybe 6 shot for squirrel, 00 buck for defense.

Sal
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    870 or Mossberg 500 both reliable

as far as gauge???

that is a personal question

squirrel hunting??

I have never ate a squirrel before usually there is very little left regardless the gauge or caliber
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 either one can do the jobs you want and this is how. get two barrels, one an 18" barrel with an open choke. The other a 26" barrel with choke tubes. to switch barrels on either of these shotguns is baby simple to do. takes less then 3 minutes.

When its setting in your closet or whatever keep The short home defense barrel installed. When you are ready to go Squirrel hunting just install your 26" hunting barrel with the choke tube of your choice and go hunting.

You can also get a rifled barrel on down the line to shoot slugs more accurately if you deer hunt. I think Mossberg and Remington make shotguns with drilled and tapped recievers so that you can add a scope mount. If not, a gunsmith will do it for about S20.00-$50.00.
  • Options
    tufunuf2tufunuf2 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input. It looks like I might go with the Remington 870, and look into getting the 2 barrels.

Thanks again. - Tuf
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Either one, Remingon or Mossberg. They are both good guns, I like them both about the same. glad I could help.

good luck
    TJ
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or a nice used Ithaca model 37 will fit the bill