In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 Winchester Magnum?

westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have found a guy selling a model 70 that he said was chambered in "270 Winchester Magnum". I asked if he meant "Short" magnum, and he swears no, it's a .270 Win. Mag.

Is it a wildcat or a commercially produced round? I'm feeling a little dumb...[:I]

Comments

• Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    weatherby has a 270 mag.

I guess that dont help does it....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    westkybanded,

There's no reason to feel dumb, at all. Your seller is either confused or doesn't know what he or she is talking about because they can't tell you exactly what they have.

There is as you mention, the .270 WSM.

Then there is the Hornady .270 Winchester Light Magnum which is just a different load in the standard .270 Win. case.

There is the .270 Weatherby magnum as stated above.

Then of course there are a dozen wildcats made from different cases, one of which is the standard 2.500" belted magnum case necked up or down to take the 0.277" bullets.

We could also stretch the limits of reason by necking down the 7mm Rem. Ultra Magnum to take the .0.277 bullets.

You might want to try the 6.5 Rem. Magnum necked up which is a belted short magnum.

In essence, the seller needs to get you a viable, real answer as to what cartridge this rifle is actually chambered for. Not a guess, the real cartridge.

Best.
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester chambers the Model 70 in the 270 WSM-which stands for the 270 Winchester Short Magnum.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/itemdetails.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=102&cat=001C&item=535102264
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell the guy to look at the barrel and see what caliber is listed on the barrel of the rifle!
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a while Winchester chambered their model 70 sporter in 270 weatherby magnum , just may be one of them , if so I'd jump on , if I could get it for around $5oo to $550 , ( in 90% condition or better )
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, are we ever going to find out what caliber it is?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen to Chris8161 !!!!!
  • Options
    westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I asked the guy if it had "Magnum" or "Mag" stamped on the barrel, he quit answering my emails.... I'll let you know what he says if he ever gets back with me...

Here's our last exchange:

I know the rifle was made after '64, I had to make sure of that for myself, i dont think I have any dies to go with it. I would have to look again but this would come with any .270 rounds I have. This is commercial round, very easy to find for cheap, any walmart or sporting goods store will have rounds. very easy to get your hands on .270 win mag rounds. thats low end and high end rounds. I was shooting the fusion brand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by westkybanded
    I would DEFINITELY be interested if you have some cartridges and or loading dies to go with it. Is it still a commercially available round or a wildcat?

I'm having trouble finding any info on it.

Do you have any idea when the rifle was manufactured?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by westkybanded
    When I asked the guy if it had "Magnum" or "Mag" stamped on the barrel, he quit answering my emails.... I'll let you know what he says if he ever gets back with me...

Here's our last exchange:

I know the rifle was made after '64, I had to make sure of that for myself, i dont think I have any dies to go with it. I would have to look again but this would come with any .270 rounds I have. This is commercial round, very easy to find for cheap, any walmart or sporting goods store will have rounds. very easy to get your hands on .270 win mag rounds. thats low end and high end rounds. I was shooting the fusion brand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by westkybanded
    I would DEFINITELY be interested if you have some cartridges and or loading dies to go with it. Is it still a commercially available round or a wildcat?

I'm having trouble finding any info on it.

Do you have any idea when the rifle was manufactured?

The guy is a friggin idiot if he can't answer a simple question like what caliber his gun is!
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This rifle sounds interesting to me anyway. If it says magnum on the bbl it must be a weatherby 270 Magnum. The WSM's HAVE 270 WSM on the bbl. or 270 win. on the bbl. I did not know they made some chamberd for 270 weatherby Mag. interesting to find out more.
    Sounds like a nice rifle either way.
    Cheers, Fish
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,613 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I think he has 270 Winchester.