In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester M88 Value?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
What do you think this Model 88 lever action Winchester rifle is worth? It will be for sale tomorrow at a local shop. It is an early model made in 1956, I believe. The caliber is .308 and it has iron sights plus a Lyman All-American 4x scope in Weaver swing-mount rings and bases. The bore is excellent and the condition of the bluing is about 95%. The stock has a few slight handling dings but nothing deep. It has the original butt plate. The previous owner bought it new and it has spent most of its time in a gun case except for an ocasional deer hunt. Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can't give you a $ value but if it has not been altered from it's original condition it will sell quick a very collectible Winchester
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That winchester should have cut checkering, and not stamped. I am not sure if they came pre drilled and tapped for scope mounting or not. In the condition you say it is in, with the Lyman scope of that time period, you could be talking close to a grand for that early model.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, it does have cut checkering. I'll post the asking price when I see it again and the serial number. Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Blue book
    from $350 to $1050

do a search on the auction side it will give you current pricing.
    I sold some in the $800 $900 range
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there are drilled & tapped holes for the scope mounts, it is not factory original. The early production Model 88s were factory equipped with iron sights only.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks! It has been drilled and tapped as it has Weaver top mount bases. When did they start making them drilled and tapped for scope bases at the factory?

I found this article on the 88 from Guns and Ammo. I thought I'd post the link in case others are interested in learning more about this "Classic" rifle:

www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/ct0504/index.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    Thanks! It has been drilled and tapped as it has Weaver top mount bases. When did they start making them drilled and tapped for scope bases at the factory?

I do not know exactly when, but it was shortly after 1957. I have an original 1957 Winchester catalog and a 1962 catalog (sorry, nothing in between). The 1957 catalog does not list the Model 88 with factory drilled & tapped scope mount holes, but by 1962, it is listed as follows:

"Receiver: Tapped for popular scope mounts and receiver sights."

The Suggested retail price was $135.50 in 1957 and had increased to $143.75 by 1962.
  • Options
    hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALL Winchester model 88's were drilled and tapped for scope mounts from the get-go (1955)
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a 5000 serial # model 88 that is drilled & tapped from the factory.
    W.D.
  • Options
    hidebuyerhidebuyer Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 two digit serial numbers and they were factory tapped!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hidebuyer
    I have 3 two digit serial numbers and they were factory tapped!

That is good information to know. I have to wonder why it was not mentioned in the original factory catalogs until after 1957[?].