In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions about Baretta 390

Team QuackTeam Quack Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a few question for you guys.

First, what is the value of this gun? It is a Beretta 390 (28" barrel) never been shot, my 10 yr old son won it in a raffle drawing. Below are some pics:

DSC02654.jpg
DSC02656.jpg
DSC02657.jpg

Second question, what is the difference between a 390, 3901, and 391? I know 391 is like twice as much money. I heard they quit making the 390 many years ago.

My 3rd question, just any comments/tips/advice for fitting the gun for my boy. He started shooting Jan 2007, at the time, a single shot 20 gauge was all he could handle, he shot that thu Jan 2008 namely dove/duck hunting, but shot some clay. Then this spring he joined 4H and has been shooting the range guns and has been shooting the berretta 3901 12 ga with a youth stock/26 inch barrel and likes it a lot.

I would like to find a youth stock for the 390, but cannot find one. So I'm thinking now about just having a gun smith cut down the stock, put a limb saver pad on there, then when he grows I'll worry about it then, maybe buy a new stock or put another slip on limbsaver pad over it to give it more length.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've had a 390 for about 14 years and it's been great; deer in VA, doves, pheasant, quail, geese, turkey. really likes HS Strut HS choke tube and #5 Hevi-shot, deadly to a measured 70 yards.

keep the piston and gas ports clean, and mine has been super reliable

value is in the neighborhood of $500, but that is NOT precise. cutting the stock down will seriously reduce that however. beretta or ramline or somebody should sell a replacement stock you could cut down and keep the original intact.

391 mostly made some minor changes in stock dimensions as I recall. nothing seriously mechanical. not sure if butt stocks are interchangeable; if so just get a 391 youth stock.

i'm no big expert obviously, but that's my 2 cents. have a great time with your son! i look ff to my grandson being that age.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here's a replacement stock for $74 you could cut down:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=514065&t=11082005

appears 390 and 391 stocks do not interchange

that turkey choke is "Undertaker HS model"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    one last thing: from chuck hawk's website:
    "Though the 390 and the newer 391 action are billed as "self-cleaning," that notion is a bit of tortured humor. I've spent a lot of time cleaning self-cleaning actions. The grunge in the 390 gas piston (and the corresponding housing attached to the barrel) is easy enough to clean out with a pipe fitter's brush; the same goes for the 303 / B-80. The Beretta 391 action is more of a step backward than an improvement as far as I'm concerned compared to the 390. It succumbs to the over-complication for complication's sake that doomed prior gas guns. Witness the Urika 391 forearm nut (called a fore end "cap" by Beretta) that is comprised of seven parts. It is an over-complicated mess as far as I'm concerned. Nevertheless, the Beretta A390 design is one of shotgunning's best, now available again as the 3901 series."
    i'd put a limbsaver recoil pad on it
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Value in Excellent condition is $600 according to the 2008 Std. Catalog of firearms. Have shot both & I see no difference. According to the book - 3901 is built the same except for a removable trigger group, 391 appears to be the same except a little lighter (I'm sure there are a few refinements). People I talk with on the Skeet/trap range seem to love both.

Don't know if the stock interchanges, but I'm sure someone makes a youth stock that will fit.

If you don't need the money now, I'd keep it. It will last a lifetime.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Team QuackTeam Quack Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    If you don't need the money now, I'd keep it. It will last a lifetime.
    I would not think of selling it, here is a picture of my son walking back to the truck with his new gun after he won it, we were the last to leave we had to wait till the end and do the FFL paper work, but the boy would sleep with that gun every night if I let him, lol. [:D]

DSC02375.jpg

Thanks for all the great info especially that stock I can cut down, I would like to keep the original stock.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 390 and the only trouble I had was I had used RemOil on the action and it started jamming by not closing the bolt on a new round in cold weather. After calling and talking to a factory rep, he knew right away it was the lube. Use Breakfree or Triflow (teflon base), no more trouble, ever, no matter how cold.
    I looked in Boyd's, they don't list a stock, but it wouldn't hurt calling anyway. Try the Beretta phone line or a factory rep. They might know of a ladies or youth stock or someone who does make them.
    At least a few years ago, they were very helpful.