In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Post-64 Win. '94 parts and problems

CBRGuyCBRGuy Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited July 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a post 1964 model 94 (Made in 1964 according to Bert H. U da man!) in 30-30 that I attempted to take down to the bare bones for a good scrubbing. I could not get the front barrel band screw out and the screw in the side that keeps the bolt/carrier from releasing from the frame will not budge. Any tips? Its been soaked in penetrating oil for 2 days and its stuck and the slot is stripping on both screws. I have twisted two screwdriver tops so far. My thought at this point is to drill them out and replace all the screws and worn out parts (screws, springs, etc) with new, however I can only find parts for pre-64s online anywhere. Can I use the screws from a pre-64?

I would like to refinish the gun and I don't care about value, but don't want to do damage that will be expensive/irreparable.

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
    edited November -1
    You can probably get one directly from Winchester:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/srvrepar.asp
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Put the screwdriver in the slot then give the end of screwdriver a good hard blow with a hammer. Then try tightening slightly before trying to unscrew. A lot of the time this will work - other times nothing short of an easy out will work. I've found that the barrel band threads and barrel band screw are both stripped quite often. Just drill that one out. After you get them out shoot me an email - I have most of the parts for a post 64.