In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS Berdan Decapping Tool

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
I bought a older NIB RCBS 8mm Mauser Berdan decapping tool at a gun show for $18 recently.

It looks like it was never used,the head, allen wrench and the three pins had no marks.
The only thing missing was the instruction pamphlet and I got that online from RCBS.

My question, is it normal for the tool to leave marks on the case head/rim when decapping?
I've done 100 cases in the last hour and all have scratch marks.I have adjusted the pin slightly and things ran a little smoother but still leaving scratches.

No, I'm not really worried about them.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not likely to make much difference if the scratches aren't deep enough to affect the integrity of the brass. Berdan primed cases have a limited lifecycle as compared to boxer primed brass regardless. The heavy firing pin impact of Mauser rifles tends to deform the internal anvil, affecting the number of reloads you can get from Berdan brass.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the real question is, where are you getting the Berdan primers to put back in that brass?
    There are a lot of scarcer calibers than 8mm that would benefit from a source.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been a long time since I have fooled with berdan stuff but every tool I used markes the cases. The one exception is a tight mandrel and a case full of water. Messy but very effective.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I think the real question is, where are you getting the Berdan primers to put back in that brass?
    There are a lot of scarcer calibers than 8mm that would benefit from a source.

My actual plan for sometime now was/is to clean up the Berdan brass and find (still looking for) training projectiles for reloading the brass and then link up what I have in belts to decorate a friends reloading room.
    So, I haven't really looked for Berdan Primers,perse.

I've a couple hundred empty boxer brass cases for reloading into hunting rounds.
    When I get around to it.

To everyone, thank you.
    I thought maybe I was being too rough with the tool.