In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 9mm vs. Remington UMC

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys,

I have been a fan of the 9mm 115 gr. FMJ winchester white box ammo for years. I got a gift certificate from Bass Pro shop and decided to buy some Remington UMC 9mm 115 gr. FMJ over the white box because the bullets in the white box were dirty that particular day and didn't look safe to me.

My question is this. The UMC bullets are significantly shorter than the Winchester. Therefore, you tell me, are the Winchesters too long? Or are the UMC's too short. The cases are exactly the same, but the bullets look smaller on the UMC and they don't protrude as far out from the casing. I figured the UMC's are simply "set" deeper in the casing, but I honestly wonder if the UMC's really are 115 gr., and if the UMC's different demensions can cause a head space issue.

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of those rounds are made to SAAMI specifications so they are perfectly safe to use. Try pulling bullets from each brand and weigh them. You will find they are both 115gr. Both companies have quality control stages the ammo goes thru, but thats not to say bad rounds cannot possibly get past them. 9mm head spaces on the front case rim, so the variance in the bullet seating depth does not matter.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The 9MM is a taper case for the most part the OAL of the loaded round is a moot point if both long and short round will both function in the Magazine and chamber. Neither brand is likely give you Match grade groups out of a standard 9MM pistol
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, there are a variety of overall round lengths than can work with a 9mm luger pistol, and I feel confident that both brands are well within spec.

If it bothers you that the two vary a bit in length, try doing a side by side of a 115 grain ball practice round, and a 147 grain subsonic hollowpoint! The 147 grainer is WAY longer than any 115 grainer, to the point that the first time I shot 147 grain ammo, I was sure it was going to jam my gun. No. . .it ran 100%.

As a side issue, despite what you might think, "Winchester White Box" isn't actually one type of ammo made at one plant. Winchester contracts the ammo out to different manufacturers, and depending on the caliber and lot, it could be made in the USA by Winchester, by PMC in Korea, by IMI in Israel, or even Sellier and Bellot in the Czech republic.

I've shot plenty of each in 9mm luger (white box and UMC) and never had problems with any of it. . .except for one thing. . .

One time I shot a box of WWB and it only had 49 rounds in it! Annoying. I'm sure if I had complained to Winchester, they'd probably have shipped me out a new box, but over a 10 cent round, I never bothered.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great info. guys. I felt a little silly posting this because in my eyes both companies are reputable and I figured there would be a good explanation (you guys gave it to me).