In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

savage 64f versus marlin795

dusty123dusty123 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
planning to buy a new 22 semi, thinking of savage 64f or marlin 795.
Which one is best? more accurate?

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both and the savage seems the less picky about what ammo it likes best other then that both are pretty close
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have both. The Savage was very accurate right out of the box, the Marlin needed a little adjusting of the rear sight. The Marlin's bolt and magazines are easy on the fingers whereas the Savage's bolt is finnicky to lock in and the magazines are pot metal and have sharp edges that chew up your fingertips when loading them. The Marlin is hard to thoroughly clean without completely taking the firing mechanism apart (too many tiny parts) and on the Savage it's easy to remove the bolt and clean it.
    Just my $.02. [;)]
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my grandson has the Savage,and I HATE loading the mags for it.Sharp corners..which I suppose could be smoothed out,...the trigger leaves a lot to be desired,and i don't like the flex of the 'forearm' on his synthetic stock.If I had it to do over again i'd have bought him a Marlin.