In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

browning 25 auto?

glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Have a 25 auto pistol that has this on it: Belgium 25 auto and Herstal.
There is no serial number on it. I was told that it is a protype for a browning 25 auto that was later adopted by the military. Any help would be appreciated. Value of pistol?

Comments

• Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can tell ya ppl are goin to ask for pics to verify and value the gun
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    i'm not aware of any fn/browning .25acp being issued to any military.
    fn did produce a .32acp that the german military issued, along with the P08 luger, during ww1.
    of course, i could be wrong.......

tom

EDIT #1: quote:The pistol does have FN on it, sorry I missed that earlier. I will get pics as soon as I can.

so, it's the browning "baby" or model 1906 (i think it actually started production in 1905)
    colt licensed the design from browning and produced the model 1908 "vest pocket".
    a number of european gun makers copied the design as well.
    i think it was the browning model 1900 in .32 the germans issued.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures are a must, along with the EXACT markings (all of them.)
    No Browning or FN was ever standard military issue.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Herstal is a city in Belgium, which back in the day was widely known for it's gun manufacturers producing knock-off's of other manufacturer's designs.

If it were a Browning manufactured in Belgium I'd expect it to also be marked Fabrique Nationale or FN.
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pistol does have FN on it, sorry I missed that earlier. I will get pics as soon as I can.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FN's factories, some of them anyway, are in Herstal. FN produced firearms were marked Browning for Browning sales channels and FN otherwise; probably there are exceptions to that too. Ownership of FN has changed several times over the years; Belgian, French, a consortium or two, and the Germans "owned" in in the early '40s.