In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carry Permit Question ???

abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Had a student in one of our Handgun Carry Classes the other day with a really good question ???

What states have Non-Resident permits , who is easy , cheapest , highest , hard to get ???

Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns ......................... .a.k.a. ...... SKEEZIX ...
Gunsmith / LEO
Firearms Instructor
Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abcguns2
    Had a student in one of our Handgun Carry Classes the other day with a really good question ???

What states have Non-Resident permits , who is easy , cheapest , highest , hard to get ???

Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns ......................... .a.k.a. ...... SKEEZIX ...
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com

Florida is one of the ones that easy to get, and has a high degree of reciprocity with other states.

I've heard that if you want to get "one", that's the one.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Utah also has a widely reciprocal and reasonably easy to get non-resident permit program.

Document that you've taken a 4-hour course.

Send prints.

Pass background check.

Wallah - You're Mormon.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Hampshire and Pennsylvania will give you out-of-state permits by mail too, if you have a home state permit from where you live. They used to be ridiculously cheap, too, but have increased the cost a bit, lately.

Most other permit-issuing states have an out-of-state provision, but most also require you to apply in person.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know Indiana is pretty easy to get to and it carryies over to alot of states. Mass is prob one of the hardest to get one. Had family wait for over 1.5yrs for just paper work to go thru and very strick at that.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did Utah & OR. Utah because it's widely accepted and OR because I visit alot & it was easy. Absent visiting OR it's not all that widely accepted.

Utah & FL seem to be the two better ones to get.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in Florida and happy to say I have a CWP. If I am not mistaken, there are 34 states that reciprocate the carry permit issued in Florida.
    They are fairly easy to get too. If one has a military background, hunter education safety class or sit in a three hour class at a gun show, you too can obtain a CWP for about $120, for five years. The permit also allows you to purchase any weapon except class three without a waiting period.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Utah doesnt have a proficiency test with a handgun or a test of any kind. Is florida the same way?
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took the class in the 70's and used it as the proficiency required to obtain the permit. If you go to a gun show and sit in a 2-3 hour class, all you have to do is go to a range and shot one bullet. Obviously, if one was in the military, the thought would be that you would have ample training with weapons.

Honestly, I love the laws here, but think they may be a bit too lenient. However, I will never vote to change them. I guess what I'm getting at is that a 21 year old kid who grew up in the city and hos no common sense can sit in a class for 2 hours, shoot one bullet and be "proficient" enough to carry a gun..... MAkes me wonder, but as I said, I would not vote for an ammendment to change that.

Aaron
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan
    Utah doesnt have a proficiency test with a handgun or a test of any kind. Is florida the same way?

No, Florida has a 4 hour class with shooting. I have one and its like accepred in 32 plus states/ or more/
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to hijack this thread, but do the concealed cary permits in Utah, and Florida, pertain just to one weapon, or any weapon you can carry concealed?

MODERATOR's. I think this discussion needs to be transferred to the General Discussion board.

Thanks
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mm8nambu
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan

No, Florida has a 4 hour class with shooting. I have one and its like accepred in 32 plus states/ or more/

Unless you were in the military and apply w/ your DD214 ... no class required then.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Not to hijack this thread, but do the concealed cary permits in Utah, and Florida, pertain just to one weapon, or any weapon you can carry concealed?

MODERATOR's. I think this discussion needs to be transferred to the General Discussion board.

Thanks

The Utah permit is not weapon specific.