In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Custom Shop SAA Order Help Part II

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Sorry to open this back up, but I just don't spend $2000+ everyday.

What are "indexed screws"? Does anyone have a pic of indexed screws with the FIRE BLUE PACKAGE?

Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indexed screws have all their slots pointing in the same direction.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    How much will that cost?

I wouldn't worry about indexed screws on the SAA marque as I wouldn't be concerned if the gun had them, or not during my inspection of the firearm prior to purchase.

None intentionally left the factory* with indexed screws, such as hi-end shotguns, double rifles, etc.

So, I'd pass on spending the extra dough. I'd liken it to having chromed license plate frames on an automobile. No factor one way or the other.

Now, don't you realize you are obligated to show us a few good pictures, after the purchase is finalized? That's the cost of the advice here, on Gunbroker

[:D]
    Joe

*Opinion only. Need confirmation
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Colt did'nt origianlly index screws on there SAA's. I would not pay extra for it. Look at an original Winchester 21 shotgun if you want to see indexed screws.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK. Thanks so much. I wasn't sure what they were.

What are "Qualify Screws"? Is that the same thing. Just saw them in the catalog.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1988z01
    OK. Thanks so much. I wasn't sure what they were.

What are "Qualify Screws"? Is that the same thing. Just saw them in the catalog.

I believe now you are talking about getting the screws level with the frame by either milling the head or shoulders off the screw.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Indexed screws have all their slots pointing in the same direction.
    That is the correct definition.

On a gun with 'well qualified screws' all slots are either 90/180 degrees to the bore.

In more modern times this is an aesthetic issue that also displays attention to detailed fitting, but I've heard it said this practice evolved from the era where some gun screws could be overtightened.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:On a gun with 'well qualified screws' all slots are either 90/180 degrees to the bore.

In more modern times this is an aesthetic issue that also displays attention to detailed fitting, but I've heard it said this practice evolved from the era where some gun screws could be overtightened.

that's what i was referring to. i just always called it indexing.[:I]
    the fire blue draws the eye, might as well have everything pointing the same way[;)]