In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mossberg 88 shotguns: Any good?

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
What are the pros and cons? The price is good, thats all I know.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are actually Maveric 88's made by Mossberg. I believe that Maveric is a subsidary of Mossberg, like Stevens is of Savage.

Those shotguns are a cheapened version(if there is such a thing as one) of a Mossberg 500. I believe that is when the polymer trigger group housings started being used, and if memory serves me, they also had a crossbolt safety, rather than a tang type. Otherwise, they pretty much function the same as the 500.

Best
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Same as a 500 other than the crossbolt safety. As far as I know all the 500 series has always been a plastic trigger group assembly the only ones that don't are the 590A1 models. Mossberg has long been using polymer in there guns. Reference the trigger garuds of the pre WWII .22s.

The mavrick is also made in Mexico and assembled in Texas. Thus driving down production cost for a cheaper product.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    What are the pros and cons? The price is good, thats all I know.

The Maverick shotguns were specifically designed by Mossberg to compete in the marketplace with the low end $200 Chinese/import shotguns.

They're similar to the 500 series guns, but the parts are made in Mexico to save costs. They also have a pushbutton/crossbolt safety rather than the tang/slide safety of the 500s. Many (but not all) of the parts will interchange with Mossberg 500 series guns, I believe including the barrels.

These aren't winners in terms of smoothness or appearance, but they're actually functional and tough guns. If you're looking for a basic inexpensive "beater" defensive or hunting shotgun, this will work fine.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know how it will hold up but I just picked up one in 20ga for some of the younger bunch around here, I am very impressed, the action in smoother than my 870 express 20 ga and I prefer the safety by the trigger
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have had friends who have had them and liked them. i bought a used one from home defense and after 40 rounds it works great.