In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield 1911 Style .45 ACP Range Officer

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Thanks guys for all of your useful feedback!

I "bit the bullet" and purchased the Springfield 1911 Style .45 ACP Range Officer at a local gun shop. I paid brand new and in the box $910. That included the case, 3 magazines, cleaning brush, preformed high impact vinyl C-C belt holster and a preformed high impact vinyl double magazine carrier. (Of course I seriously doubt that I am going to conceal-carry a full size 1911 model - LOL!?!? The weight alone is a killer.) A FFL holder that I usually do my online purchase transafers with emailed me and said he sold one about 6 months ago - just the pistol new and 1 extra magazine for $725. So I don't know if I got a good deal or not with the"extras" that came with it or not.

I shot it the first time yesterday. WOW! The first shot was a dead center bullseye at 25 yards. (The first shot kind of took me be surprise as I was not use to the light trigger pull compared to my Colt 1911 Govt Commander.) I shot 50 rounds of reloaded ammo. (25 Berry plated 200 gr RN and 25 Hornady Lead SMWC loaded with mid-range velocity.) I hit the target 50 times, using both a 2-handed and 1-handed stance holding position. Bottom line is that I LOVE IT! It is a really fun to shoot. I can't wait to shoot it again!

Does anybody have an idea what would be a good price to purchase the Springfield 1911 Style .45 ACP Range Officer - new-in-the-box? I've called several local and out-of-state gun shops. I've had quotes that are all over the board. the highest I got was $1,200. That is a bit pricey for me.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know anything specific about the "Range Officer". That said, some of these types of 1911's are deliberately made in limited editions, by the manufacturers. This is done IMHO to artificially drive the prices up.

If this is the case with the "Range Officer", and it's only available in small numbers at way over the original MSRP price. Forget about it and get another model, no sense paying through the nose for 1911 when so many of them are on the market from so many different manufacturers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I totally agree and thanks!

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Don't know anything specific about the "Range Officer". That said, some of these types of 1911's are deliberately made in limited editions, by the manufacturers. This is done IMHO to artificially drive the prices up.

If this is the case with the "Range Officer", and it's only available in small numbers at way over the original MSRP price. Forget about it and get another model, no sense paying through the nose for 1911 when so many of them are on the market from so many different manufacturers.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Along with your last two post we REALLY need for YOU to tell US what type of target shooting you Plan on doing.There are only a very few that would be Bulls-eye Match ready to use. IMHO if you are NOT going to shoot Bulls-EYE then there are MANY 1911 "Range Officer is one" type pistols that could be used for IDPA or other types of pistol competition. There is no need to pay $1000.00 for a pistol that a gunsmith would need to replace many parts to build a match pistol. You would be better served to spend $500.00 and have the gunsmith build you a match pistol with replaced parts. Or BUY a ready made pistol from custom pistol maker or used match pistol from someone that is retiring from shooting. Try "Champions Choice" gun shop via internet or visit a gun club that run matches like you want to shoot and see if anyone knows a shooter that is retiring. The RANGE OFFICER IS NOT BULLS-EYE ready[:(]

EDIT Please don't take offenseat my attempt to help.. We have many friendly folks here. on Gun Broker. + We want you to make an informed decision.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you! And I'll quit asking so many questions.

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Along with your last two post we REALLY need for YOU to tell US what type of target shooting you Plan on doing.There are only a very few that would be Bulls-eye Match ready to use. IMHO if you are NOT going to shoot Bulls-EYE then there are MANY 1911 "Range Officer is one" type pistols that could be used for IDPA or other types of pistol competition. There is no need to pay $1000.00 for a pistol that a gunsmith would need to replace many parts to build a match pistol. You would be better served to spend $500.00 and have the gunsmith build you a match pistol with replaced parts. Or BUY a ready made pistol from custom pistol maker or used match pistol from someone that is retiring from shooting. Try "Champions Choice" gun shop via internet or visit a gun club that run matches like you want to shoot and see if anyone knows a shooter that is retiring. The RANGE OFFICER IS NOT BULLS-EYE ready[:(]
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have sold a few Range Officers at the shop for around $749
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    We have sold a few Range Officers at the shop for around $749

They have sold from $705-806 on the auction side.
    Springfield has plenty made. It is not a limited edition pistol.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, you have still NOT ANSWERED the question posed to you several times......

WHAT
    TYPE
    OF
    COMPETITIVE
    SHOOTING
    ARE
    YOU
    INTERESTED
    IN????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullseye Competitive Shooting.

quote:Originally posted by bpost

WHAT
    TYPE
    OF
    COMPETITIVE
    SHOOTING
    ARE
    YOU
    INTERESTED
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hermiem
    Bullseye Competitive Shooting.

quote:Originally posted by bpost

WHAT
    TYPE
    OF
    COMPETITIVE
    SHOOTING
    ARE
    YOU
    INTERESTED

You will not be well served by your purchase. Sorry, that is just the facts. The gun-ammo combo needs to be able to shoot a 1-1/2" group at 50 yards from a Ransom rest to be competitive. Use a good cast 200 grain SWC and a load of 4-4.5 grains of bullseye to see what your gun can do.

I can not over emphasize the importance of getting SOUND advice from SKILLED bullseye shooters. That expert is available right here and is PERRY SHOOTER. Karl is a top shooter, a dedicated coach and a man that can be trusted to steer you down the right path.

He did it for me and my wad cutter gun, a gently used MADORE built 1911 is a tack driver; when I do my job it will produce 50 yard slow fire scores in the high 90's.

Please contact Karl, he will help!!