In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

german shotgun proof marks

spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know where I can look up the meaning of the proof marks on my german shotguns?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spas12,

You can post pictures of the proof marks and we will be able to help with the information.

Best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your not able to post quality close up photos of the proofs on your shotguns. There might be some on-line sites that may be able to help you. You might try the one at this link, as a start.

http://www.shotguns.se/html/germany.html

There were also at least 2 on-line shotgun collectors forums that might have information on various proof marks.

I don't know if the are still active, but you might try GOOGLEing, "Shotgun World" and/or "Double Gun Journal".
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 1950s (Baron Engelhardt) and again in the 1970s (Lee Kennett) Gun Digest did articles on different countries' proof laws and proofmarks, one a year over long spans of time. I have not seen either series in book form which is a shame, they had a lot of detail.

I can understand the yearning to know what all those cryptic marks mean, but there are two main things above the academic level.
    Is it Nitro proofed for smokeless powder?
    Does it have a 2 3/4" (70mm) chamber or 2 9/16" (65mm). The shorter chamber was standard in Europe for a long time and is the default if not marked 70.