In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dangerous Game Optics

bowbradbowbrad Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am considering either the Weaver 1-5x 24mm Super Slam or the Nikon 1.1-4x 24mm Monarch Africian for a CZ 550 American Safari in .458 Lott. Does anybody have any experience with either scope. I plan on reloading the cartridge down a bit for moose but still want the scope to handle the full power recoil even if my shoulder won't. Thanks for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Open sights would be my suggestion.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A big front bead and shallow "V" rear or a 30mm red dot mounted forward on see-thru rings or a long eye relief, low power, bright 1X with bold German post reticule.
    The iron sights might take rough environment and severe recoil best.
    And depending on stock fit, be quickest on target.
    It would be unfun for a scope/mount/rings to fail on the first shot when you need a second one.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 5 1/4 lb 45-350 Rem Mag on a 600 Rem by P.O. Ackley that wears full Lyman peeps. In low light or thick cover I take out the front incert and the iris rear. For shot loads I remove the rear slide and the front incert. The prior owner tried to scope it but it would shear the 6-48 factory screws. What finally held were hardened 10-32.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I have a Siamese Mauser action, rebarreled and restocked, chambered in 45-70. My elk load pushes a 400 grain Barns SS at 2,100fps, recoil is very noticeable, to say the least. I have a Leupold VX 2 1-4 that has served me very well on that rifle, no problems.
    By the way, the first moose I shot in Alaska, I shot with a pre 64 model 70, in 243, that was in 1967. FYI.
    W.D.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would opt to stay away from the Nikon(their warranty is a PITA), and don't have that much experience with the new Weaver's. That said, in the Dangerous game situation, for a glass, I would opt to have something similar to the German #4 reticle. Trijicon offers a nice one with an illuminated chevron on top of a post too. However if I had my choice in that price range of the scopes you suggested, it would Be a Burris EuroDiamond with the German #4. I believe they made a 1.5-6x model too. They are recently discontinued, within the last couple years, but you can find them floating around NIB still, at discounts. Just because they have been discontinued, doesn't mean that Burris doesn't recoginize the warranty, either. Burris is really great with their warranty's, even if an idiot takes the scope apart(had a customer of mine do that once...an avid tinkerer...thought he needed to clean the inside of the scope too, when he cleaned the rifle).

As far as a 458 Lott being overkill for moose????....not any more than a 300 Win Mag, or 300 RUM is for whitetail, and there are several folks here that use those.

Best
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris Signature 1.5-6 would be better IMO.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you expected min and max ranges.

Depending on your budget, I use a 30mm Schmidt and Bender 1.5x6 power with a post reticle on my Weatherby. Very bright with a good field of view.

The only downside I have found is the recticle is not illuminated.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .458 Lott you've chosen is pretty versatile for it's intended role; big nasty stuff at "right here" distances. A lot of the African safari gun writers are spouting the benefits of the scope power-ranges you're indicating, stating it allows for more precise shots at stuff standing in the shadows, etc... I have no African experience, so I'll defer to what these guys are saying with regards to that.

I will suggest giving a call to SSK Indistries at info@sskindustries.com. They're a maker of very strong T'SOB scope mounts, they'll know what scope to use and if they have any T'SOB mounts (or something similar) for the CZ 550.

For moose, look for 350-400 gr loads in the max.45-70 to medium .458 Win range. You'll knock them dead with those with no worries and MUCH less kick that your high-octane Lott can develop....plus in big bear country you'll be well-armed as well.
  • Options
    bowbradbowbrad Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plan on using QD mounts by either Talley or Warnequote:Originally posted by cartod
    Open sights would be my suggestion.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The model 70 458 I used had a Zeiss 1.5x; It looked about like the 1.5-5x, but was fixed power. It was faster (for me) than an aperture sight and much more accurate than open sights. I don't know if they are available in the US, The one I used was brought back from Germany in his luggage.