In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1896 Broomhandle "restoration"

riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Opinions please:

A frend is selling off some of his collection and has a 7.63 caliber 1896 broomhandle. It has no rifling in the tube at all. Just the faintest trace. It functions, I've shot it. Don't ask why but I want it. Does it make any sense at all to get the barrel relined as an entertaining shooter? Roughly how much should I factor for this expense? Am I getting myself into a can of worms that never will be right? Do thes things break a lot of parts when used?

Thanks

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it was one of the Broomhandles imported from China in the 90's. Many were in the condition you describe.

Because of the bad barrels and generally ratty condition made of the Chinese BH's were relined and refinished. To the best of my knowledge as long as this was done by a competent gunsmith, they were functional after relining the barrel.

At this late date I don't remember who the gunsmiths were who did this, or how much they charged. Given the hourly rates charged by competent gunsmiths nowadays, it's not likely to be cheap.

If money is a factor just buy it as a fun shooter, and leave it at that. My personal experience with owning and shooting BH's in the past wasn't positive. They were a archaic 19th Century design, that definitely wasn't user friendly. The sights were regulated for shoulder stock use. This caused the BH to shoot 18" high when shot off-hand at close ranges. Also the hammer was a killer when you tried to hold the grip normally. To shoot it safely your thumb has to be at the bottom of the grip or the hammer will bite you savagely.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've had a couple of Brooms done. One had just the barrel lined, the other had the barrel and chamber relined. They both came back perfectly and I was unable to tell they had been worked on. I used this guy:

http://www.redmansrifling.com/mauser.htm

The price was about $100 or so, don't know what it is now, but whatever, it's worth it.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain as I too once wanted one. However I was lucky and got to fool around with one first. I'm over it. +1 for redman's work.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine had the barrel replaced. You can see the line where the new barrel is screwed in. It cost $110 but that was in 1996.
    It was done by Briklee Trading Co. but they have been out of bussiness for many years.
    The barrel was supposed to be left in the white & I was going to cold blue it.
    They accidently mixed it up with others & polished the entire gun, replaced the springs & wood grip, remarked all the markings & hot blued it.
    We had a nice shouting match when they tried to charge me for all that but I had my copy of the original work order. They said I should at least pay for the new parts & I said, "No, just return my old ones." which of course they didn't have.
    They could also have rebarreled it in 9mm but that cost more & I wanted the original anyway.
  • riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, all.

P3 you are my new hero.

Riley P
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riley p
    Thank you, all.

P3 you are my new hero.

Riley P

Glad to be of assist sir. I think you will be pleased with the results.
    [:)]