In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flood Damage Help

Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
We had massive flooding around the Live Oak Florida as a result of tropical storm Debby.. many damaged and submerged guns.. Anyone got a good way to resore guns after they have been in floods. right now they are resideing in vats of diesel fuel to displace the water.

Comments

• llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this the layne that buys thru matchmaker in high springs occasionally? :)

Anyway, if the water is all displaced, then I'd take 'em out one at a time, completely degrease, then inspect. For wood stocks, you may want to try low dry heat for a long time, since the wood will have absorbed a lot of the water.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remove actions from stocks. Spray down with WD 40 (only use I have for the stuff) Do that outdoors. Hang, let drip dry, wipe down with CLP. Stocks- hang where DRY air (does not have to be hot, just somewhat dry) can blow over them. When thoroughly dry (several days to a week or so) wipe down with furniture grade lemon oil.
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Be sure to clean, dry and oil the bores.
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys for the tips .. Lots of guns in various conditions just want to see if any body had any better ideas or tips.. Thanks a lot for the info..
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did good with the metal parts. You might NOT be able to prevent all negative effects on the wood. By its porous nature the wood took in moisture. It almost certainly soaked in unevenly and any drying is also going to be uneven. Warping and discoloration can be expected. If it is minor, you may still be able to use the old stock. If not, then it's shopping time.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    brownells has a water displacing oil...used mainly after bluind...maybe clean and soak metal down with this to pull moisture out of everywhere
  • Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For any wood that might have absorbed water, you may want to try to buy a large 50 pound bag of white rice and cover one test piece of wood to see how the it dries. The rice and wood have to be in an enclosed plastic garbage bag, because I suspect that the humidity in Florida quite high.

The rice will draw out the moisture very slowly, so as not to warp or damage the wood, hopefully. Trying to dryout the wood with high heat sources will definitely lead to warping.
  • 4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had some experience with flood damaged firearms so I can say this. That silt will be in the smallest crack or joint in the metal. I soaked them for days in diesel fuel after giveing them a surface cleaning and then used high pressure air fo blow out around everything. Sights, dovetails and anywhere there was any kind of joint. Lucked out with most of them but still had a couple of small problems.
    The wood in a bag of rice or maybe kitty litter is also a very good idea. Be sure and remove all the metal items from the wood. That silt will get in everywhere.