In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Siamese Mauser Conversion Project?

JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
Looking at acquiring a Siamese Mauser and having it converted to .45-70govt (but keeping the rifle in its military configuration other than the caliber conversion) which should be workable with the right professional gunsmith, however either extending the magwell or using removable magazines if possible as well, which is questionable.

Are the extended magwell or the removable magazines an option or would it be too difficult and costly to get either to work properly, not to mention finding the right removable magazine?
And are there any specific professional gunsmiths that could do the .45-70govt conversion as well as either the extended magwell or removable magazine modification?
Thanks and regards.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only seen one, and it used the original magazine. Was very nice to shoot though.

Changing the mag to a higher capacity box magazine is possible (everything is, given enough $$ to throw at it). Perhaps something from a mag fed shot gun may work as a base to start with?

Personally, I'd leave it be....
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the late 1970's I bought one of the Siamese Mausers that Navy Arms converted to 45-70. It retained its fixed magazine, which may give a hint that any other option was either unworkable or too expensive.

Johnny
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the problem would be to find a box magazine that would work with the .45/70. the original internal magazine works ok with the .45/70 and especialy well with the new Hornady 'flex tip' pointed bullets.
    "One feature I do like is a push button release on the floor plate to make unloading easier.'............THIS IS AN EASY CONVERSION ON THE SIAMESE, IT ALREADY HAS THE PUSH-BUTTON FLOOR PLATE RELEASE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ADD A FRONT 'TANG', MILL A SLOT FOR IT AND DRILL A HINGE PIN HOLE.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I have one while mine is highly customized as asporter, I still have the fixed box mag. I doubt you will find a removable mag that will be able to made to work in the Siamese confirg BUT I could be wrong being ANYTHING is possible. The only mag that I can think that MIGHT work is the Saiga 410 mags an dthen you have to confugure for it to work woith the actin.
    GHood luck on the project though and as to the Siamese being a great 45/70 conversion, mine is a sweet shooter. I did keep the ladder style rear sight and I love it being I can shoot long range with it as in the style as the old trapdoors.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen and shot around a half dozen 45-70 Siamese Mauser conversion. All were nice shooters. None had extended or detachable mags. I was going to do one, but I ended up with a Mexican Small Ring Mauser conversion.

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer and the software to drive it? I think you could rapid prototype all the pieces necessary to test your concept for a DM in 45-70.

Thinking about my herd, I currently have no rifles with extended or detachable mags. One feature I do like is a push button release on the floor plate to make unloading easier.

3d gun http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133514-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of the Siamese Mauser converted to .45-70govt being that it is a versatile round available almost everywhere and there are plenty of +P type ammunition as well if you like.
    An extended fixed magazine would be a unique and viable option although may cost a bit to work; however would be a great bolt action compliment to the .45-70govt lever-guns.

Regards
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    I like the idea of the Siamese Mauser converted to .45-70govt being that it is a versatile round available almost everywhere and there are plenty of +P type ammunition as well if you like.
    An extended fixed magazine would be a unique and viable option although may cost a bit to work; however would be a great bolt action compliment to the .45-70govt lever-guns.

Regards

Juggernaut,

From what I have heard, those Siamese Mauser's, can be loaded as hot as the Ruger #1 in 45-70. That level is only 100-200 fps off the 458 Win. That is a LOT of gun for the money. Keep me posted on your progress with this project. BTW...good to see you back.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone I appreciate all of the helpful responses and ideas.

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Juggernaut,
    From what I have heard, those Siamese Mauser's, can be loaded as hot as the Ruger #1 in 45-70. That level is only 100-200 fps off the 458 Win. That is a LOT of gun for the money. Keep me posted on your progress with this project. BTW...good to see you back.
    Best

Thanks, yes the Siamese Mauser really looks to be built like a tank and I did consider the .458wm but thought that the .45-70 has so many different loads and can be loaded light or hot to magnum levels.
    I was thinking it would make another great hunter to compliment the .45-70govt lever-guns and I just like the .45-70govt as it can hit like a freight train much like the .458wm if loaded hot.
    I would really like an extended fixed box magazine though, just to extend the magazine capacity.

Regards
  • Options
    Twowings2UTwowings2U Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made my 45-70 on a 6.5mm Arisaka? jap---bolt only needed a slight enlargement in diameter. Made a detachable box magazine that extended
    down about as far as the trigger guard---the original floor plate release fits in a notch in the back of the magazine---will kill on either end <G>
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I built a Siamese 45-70 6 years ago, Shillin barrel, Timiney trigger, 1-4 Luepold 1-4 VX2 scope, looks like an elephant rifle.
    I shoot 400gr Barnes SS at 2,100fps, and it does kill at both ends.
    Mine has the hinge magazine floor plate, and works quite well.It took a little work to make it feed reliably. This is the 4x5 bull I took with it last year.
    W.D.
    IMGP6962.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, some good information there and congrats on the bull CapnMidnight..... I am really looking forward to the Siamese Mauser .45-70govt project and I am determined to get my fixed extended magazine working as well..... However other than that I want it to be kept (as much as possible as stated) in its military configuration, besides the caliber and extended magazine modification(perhaps a double set trigger as well).

Regards