In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington model 4

chief515chief515 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington model 4 with a ser# 61116. It is a 32 cal. and the solid frame. Hex barrel is 24" long. Any idea when it was made??

Comments

• JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chief515
    I have a Remington model 4 with a ser# 61116. It is a 32 cal. and the solid frame. Hex barrel is 24" long. Any idea when it was made??

Are there letters on the barrel on the left side just forward of the receiver?
  • chief515chief515 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No numbers or letters. The ones I found, 32-61116 are on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the forearm.
    edited November -1
    No numbers or letters. The ones I found, 32-61116 are on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the forearm.

[Incorporated in 1920, Remington has actually been producing firearms since 1865. However, Remington Arms didn't begin coding serial numbers until 1921. The serial number on your Remington firearm begins with a series of letters detailing the month and year of manufacturer. Between August 9, 1999 and October 1, 2001, Remington removed the date coding from the serial numbers on the barrels but continued to code the serial number on the box.]

Unless someone else has your specific serial number batch and dom...Yours may not have that then if there are no letter codes and you may have to call Remington at 1-800-243-9700...Work the menu and then ask for a serial number search giving the model, caliber and serial number and they should be able to provide the dom.

Regards
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    chief515,

To the best of my knowledge, Remington, never date coded serial numbers. They stamped a date code on the barrel, and I am not sure when that all started.

Now to as what exactly you have. Since Remington never made the model 4 in 32 caliber, I am thinking you have a #4 Rolling Block in 32 caliber. The Model 4 was started in 1981, and I believed discontinued in 1987. It was a take off of the Model 742, with supposedly some refinements, and evolved into the Model 7400, and now Model 750, which are all semi-automatic centerfire, sporting rifles.

Best
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has a 24" octagon (not "hex") barrel, I'm certain you have the old No. 4 rimfire rolling block boy's rifle, and not the Model 4 semi-auto centerfire made 1980s.

I believe the solid frame version dates before 1900, but can't find a reference to verify that. There were 356,000 made 1890-1933, so you can estimate where your serial number falls.
  • chief515chief515 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay Thanks to all. I should get my facts right also--It is 32 rim fire with a 24" octagon barrel and rolling block. #4 would be right. I will go with it being made around 1890's.
    edited November -1
    Okay Thanks to all. I should get my facts right also--It is 32 rim fire with a 24" octagon barrel and rolling block. #4 would be right. I will go with it being made around 1890's.

That would be my sentiments as well, give Remington a call and they should have updated serial # information for you and they are very knowledgeable and nice people to deal with, 1-800-243-9700.

Regards
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    not worth much as no current ammo made the last batch was navy arms in the 90"s made by cbc sells for about 75-100 a box there are a bunch of No4's on the action side in 32 rim