In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 carbine opinions

dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
edited July 2012 in Ask the Experts
I've got three M-1 carbines. A fairly new collector has offered me what I consider a fairly decent trade, and doesn't really care which of the ones he gets. I just can't figure out which one I am willing to get rid of, so I'm soliciting opinions. All are in comparable condition, Korean war rework (bayo lug, adjustable rear sight etc.) functioning, and good bores.

#1 Inland receiver, Inland Barrel

#2 Winchester receiver, IBM barrel

#3 IBM receiver, IBM barrel but import stamped[:(!] Blue Sky

All other things being equal, which one would you cut loose ?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would give him the Blue Sky marked gun. There have been problems with them when the marking damaged the barrel. People are leary of them.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    trade on #3[;)]
  • Options
    bnocentibnocenti Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1

If I were you I'd try to find a Winchester barrel for #2.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Define "good bore".

You can't tell by eye-balling the bore if there is excessive muzzle wear; you need either a muzzle wear gauge, or a "poor man's" muzzle wear gauge (a single round of USGI M2 .30-06 ball stuck point first into the muzzle).

You want to make darn sure the barrel is good, as a commercial replacement barrel will cost you > $350, & good original USGI barrels are unobtainable.

Neal
  • Options
    jbarker429jbarker429 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely the one with the Blue Sky marked barrel. I have one that shoots well...but the only reason I've kept it is that it's attached to a Saginaw Grand Rapids (S'G') receiver which is comparatively rare. And just like mentioned above...I've read the horror stories about barrels wrecked by overzealous Blue Sky stamping.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. #3 now belongs to someone else.

Neal,
    Good bore meant not all pitted and worn on the inside visibly. I was trading the carbine away, not getting another one.