In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 62A Finish

pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased one that was in pretty good shape mechanically but the wood is bad and the metal finish needs reblueing. I plan on redoing it and give it to my grandson for his first gun when he gets a little older. My question is on the metal finish for reblueing. What grit should I polish it to? I know they were not originally a high luster. I was thinking 220 or 320.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With collector value gone I redid a Belgium Browning BAR that had road rash on one side by buffing with about 220 to remove the scars. Next I bead blasted the entire metal surface. Followed that with a deep blue from hot salts. That rifle had a pleasing satin finish for hunting.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A gunsmith told me it was useless to use anything more than 320 grit.
    The bluing salts would negate (etch) any finer polish. However, I have seen many blue jobs that were much finer polished than the factory polish.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What type of finish did the factory do?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pawnee66
    What type of finish did the factory do?

Winchester used Du-lite bluing on the Model 62A.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would Brownell's Oxynate #7 with a 220 grit finish be close to the Dulite finish?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pawnee66
    Would Brownell's Oxynate #7 with a 220 grit finish be close to the Dulite finish?

I do not know the answer to your question.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Call the Brownells Tech line. Them guys are great!
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    A gunsmith told me it was useless to use anything more than 320 grit.
    The bluing salts would negate (etch) any finer polish. However, I have seen many blue jobs that were much finer polished than the factory polish.

I have done mirror polish bluing that would indicate otherwise.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Would Brownell's Oxynate #7 with a 220 grit finish be close to the Dulite finish?"..............I've used both and they produce very similar 'blue'. If you have never done this before I'd suggest taking it to a good gunsmith, as many guns have been 'over' polished by do-it-yourselfers' that cann't keep corners or lettering sharp. The 220 grit finish will be about like the factory finish, not real shiney.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    PLUS 1 for what SwanKong said....
    I've turned out tons of highly polished barrels, and receivers..
    I always finished with 555 Polish O Ray........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am going to send it to Boses Gun Repair in Nebraska to be blued. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm open to recommendations for other bluing services.