In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder for 264 win mag

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for a powder recommendation for the 264 win mag using 120 gr. sierra pH's. Not looking for barrel burning velocity. I'm looking for optimum accuracy and temperature stability. Thank You

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd look for a ball powder first. These days I think you take what you get.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

As with all things regarding reloading, balance is the key. In this case I think you're a little light on the bullet weight for the case capacity. But you're the shooter.

I just ran these tests at the beginning of 2013:

Top pick for best barrel life for performance and accuracy is Hodgdon H-1000.

Next is a toss up between V V N-165 and N-160. Both show great levels or performance with improved barrel life over traditional powders.

Next would be Alliant Re-25. It's a little harder on the throats but it DOES perform. If this is a hunting rifle, I would include this as one of the test powders.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks no nonsense for the input. The reason I asked about the sierra 120's is because I acquired a bunch.My most accurate load to date was with Hornady 140 gr. A-MAX's. The 120's or the shooter (me) seems to shoot under an inch one day, and closer to 1 1/2 the next day. I think I am being consistent in my technique, however, I wouldn't bet the bank on it either. I think I need to put a reliable scope on the rifle as well. Currently, I have a China made Nikko Stirling Target master on the rifle, and I'm on my 3rd one after the first 2 failed after less than a year, so now, my confidence in this scope is pretty much in the toilet, evev if it isn't the scope. I think I'll try some H1000 and see. Got nothing to lose at this point. Part of the fun is the chase after all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

quote:Part of the fun is the chase after all.

You can say that twice! I have never had a bad day at the range while testing.

Ditch the scope for something up in the medium price range like the Burris, Sightron or Vortex Viper. You have to have confidence in your equipment or you'll always be second guessing and doubting.

Optics Planet and Bear Basin Outfitters both have good sales on right now. There are probably others as well.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, what do you think of the weaver tactical's? That's what I am leaning towards. If we keep working all this overtime at work, I should be able to get one by april. If I remember correctly, they come in a 5-15 ffp mil-dot, or a 5-20 second focal plane. I also looked at a burris mtac 5-20. I am stuck on the mi-dot, and want a mil/mil scope. I'm committing myself to get reasonably proficient with the use of mil-dots. I just have it in my head that for long range shooting, the mil-dot is the way to go. I also looked at the Vortec PST, but not sure where their made. Another goal of mine is to ditch at least 2 of my china made scopes, and at least go with japan made. I have a weaver super slam euro on my 375 Ruger. I really like that scope alot, but of all the scopes, I'm leaning towards the weaver tactical. They're about $800 or so, but I just put a $600 Mcmillan stock on the rifle, so what the heck, just as well try to mimick the rifle I can't afford. Thanks Nononsense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

Honestly, I have not seen any of the newer Weaver Tactical scopes. But like everything involving glass, I'd try to do a little comparison shopping by looking through several similar priced, similarly built scopes to see which agreed more with my eyes and how I operate a scope on the rifle. You might have a winner but then again, I'd bank on the Vortex and the newer Bushnells first. They both have best quality Japanese glass and FFP available. Don't rush, take some time to evaluate and actually look through as many as possible in a group. Then sit on it for a few days before deciding.

Best.