In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester pre 64 70 carbine

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
What are the identifying features of a pre 64 Winchester 70 carbine?

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per Roger Rule's book: The same as the standard rifle except with a 20" barrel. Made 1936-1946 in several chamberings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the barrel supposed to have the bulge for a rear sight and a milled front sight ramp?. Also is the bluing rust or hot dipped?
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    As previously stated,it is a standard rifle with a 20" barrel (std rifle is 24").The early ones did not have a tapered barrel. It has a standard rifle stock. (The Featherweight had a 22" barrel and only one forearm screw and was not introduced until the early 50's.) Model 70 front sight ramps were forged until the early 1950's. That would include all carbines which were rust blued during that era.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Although I am not sure, I would suspect that a 20" carbine would have the same muzzle diameter as a 24" barrel. I suspect a "cutoff" 24" barrel to be larger in diameter. If the milled front sight ramp is gone, look for bluing in the sight dovetail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We could probably be more helpful if you would post pictures or at least describe what you have rather than ask a few questions at a time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I stopped at a gun shop in N/E Pa Saturday and the owner had a Win 70 in the case. Looking at it I noticed a few things that seemed odd, first the stock was not Winchester, second the barrel was about 20", marked with the usual roll markings and either 06 Govt or 30 govt, but surely Winchester roll markings. The barrel was Not a featherweight but appeared to be a Standard contour without the front sight ramp or the the dovetailed bulge for the rear sight. The floor plate was marked Super Grade and the serial number was in the 122000 range. The more I think about it, if the barrel's not factory, someone cut a standard barrel to 20", put it in a lathe and removed the Bulge
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of markings on a Model 70 barrel: The Winchester trade mark, Model 70, New Haven, Winchester Proof Steel, etc. It sounds to me like that rifle has been rebarreled. As far as the stock, I don't know if you're familiar with the old Super Grade stock but they are somewhat different than the standard. I have my old Super Grade .300 H&H across my knees as I type this. The SG stock has a cheekpiece , a black fore end tip, the grip checkering meets at the top of the wrist, a Winchester grip cap, and the sling swivel studs are attached with 2 screws and are inletted into the stock. The serial number you mentioned is considerably later than the years the carbine was made. If I were you and the rifle is in good shape and the price is right, I'd add it to my collection even though it's not original and is just a shooter. My SG had the barrel cut to 21", a new front sight ramp attached, the butt cut with a recoil pad attached. I paid around $600 for it about 15 years ago.