In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 help

My Wife RulesMy Wife Rules Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I've had a MSH pin brake on me twice within 2 month of each other. I also had the safety pin broke to. Just noticed it just before noticing the MSH pin broke the second time. It's a Springfield Armory 1911. It's had thousands of rounds through it. Close to 4-5,000. I'm not shooting any +p through it. Just some 230 FMJ factory loads. Usually CCI Brass stuff or Winchester Whit box. I've also ran a few hand loads through but they show no signs of excessive pressure. What could be causing this? I've replaced the recoil/slide spring with a 17 pound one every 1000 or so. The main spring is nothing fancy, it came with a reduced trigger pack of springs that I bought from Midway.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I purchased a high standard barrel for my Remington rand. I need a barrel link and pin, can I get a standard link and pin, put it on my barrel and simply install it or do I have to check that it fits properly in any way before its safe to shoot? Also what is the proper magazine that it would have been issued with? It was made in late 1943.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got this info from a on-line collectors site, re the mags.

"L, R, S, or G marked mags would all be correct for your RemRand pistol. That stands for Little, Risdon, Scovill and General Shaver."
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A standard link should work ok for just a shooter.
  • Options
    celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A standard #3 link should drop right in. Remember the 1911 and 1911A1 were the begining of the term "Milspec" age. Thanks to John Browning!
  • Options
    celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more thing! contrary to popularly belief the link is only used to unlock the gun, the barrel feet do all the lockup period. the link is not intended to raise or lower the barrel in the slide locking lugs. A link to long or to short will break someday, resulting in a single shot automatic. If the barrel lugs engagement is inadequate material must be added to the barrel feet or replace the barrel entirely. I have a retail store and a fully operational gunsmith shop for 20 years. If you have any question, please call me at 217-585-1911 ask for John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info it is very helpful.