In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther PP 7.65 m/m serial # 189108 P

5737RFE5737RFE Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
I am hoping that someone can pin down the year of manufacture on the above noted pistol -
Thanks,
Ron

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the Waffenamt is "WaA359"? It would date to 1941, per my reference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks,,, but that it not the case. Anyone out there that can assist as to date (year) of manufacture - please chime in.

What I do know is that the pistol (PP 7.65 m/m) in question was made at the Walther factory in the city of Zella - Mehlis in the province of Thuringia. I have identified the gun and the variation (specific factory markings and locations) via several articles and iternet sources but have not been able to conclude a specific date of manufacture. From what I have gathered, the gun was made after 1940.
    I do have a 1991 correspondence from a Walther employee by the name of Mr. Barth, stating that the gun was indeed made for the military.

My father in law was a medical officer in the 3rd Army and the weapon "found a way" to the US when he returned home.

Thanks for any help provided,,, still searhcing for the year of manufacture.
    Ron
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this website, it's from 1940.
    http://www.tague.at/pistolen/en_index.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5737RFE
    thanks,,, but that it not the case. Anyone out there that can assist as to date (year) of manufacture - please chime in.

My data is from the Dieter H. Marschall's book. "Walther Pistols Models 1 through P 99". if your not happy with my response to your question. Take it up with him.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    5737RFE.......since your PP does not have any Waffen marks on it, it is most likely a commerical model. Your serial # does not make either the German Army or Police block #'s. Many of these were made for the German Army and Police but many more were not and I believe that this one fits that bill. So unless "Mr. Barth" has more info, the lack of military/police marks on your pistol means......it wasn't military or police. Send us some photos and we can tell you more. FYI, the German Army accepted 84k of these pistols in five different varations....and it sounds as if yours is one of the early Series One varation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the feedback, my question remains as to the date of manufacture - serial # 189108 P - still looking for the date of manufacture if anyone can help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5737RFE
    thanks for the feedback, my question remains as to the date of manufacture - serial # 189108 P - still looking for the date of manufacture if anyone can help

Post your question to this forum. Be sure and get back to us.

http://p38forum.com/forums/index.php
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks to 1BigGuy
    Your response and resource as related to my Walther PP 7.65mm nailed it down as manufactured in 1940.
    Thanks for your time & help - much appreciated.
    5737RFE
    quote:Originally posted by 1BigGuy
    According to this website, it's from 1940.
    http://www.tague.at/pistolen/en_index.htm