In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever See A Ruger No. 1 Varminter, Short Barrel?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,031 ******
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Friend at work has one, a Ruger No. 1 Varminter, caliber .22-250, with a heavy short barrel. Barrel is either 18" or 20" and I haven't seen it, so I can't say which. He believes the short barrel came that way from Ruger, and not cut.

Question is: Is this rifle a rarity? A shooter? Collectible? About what is it worth?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book of Gun Values does not list such a rifle. It says the barrel is 24" or 26".
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Because the N0- 1 is a falling block action it has a shorter oveer all length than a Bolt action This may lead to confusion over barrel length. 22 Caliber cleaning rod down bore from muzzle will give true length.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,031 ******
    edited November -1
    I am thinking my friend is mistaken about the barrel length, due to the relatively short overall length of the rifle. I have asked him to measure it or bring it to me so I can.

Although such a rifle might be handy, a barrel that short in the .22-250 caliber would be helping to defeat its purpose.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A decade + or so ago, I was into the #1s and don't recall any of them with that length,,no help to you but --
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not a chance it's factory
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    a friend had a 308 winchester that he shot with some thing in the last three inches of barrel and it bulged the barrel right under the front sight, the gunsmigh shortened it and put the front sight back on,it looked just like a 18 inch carbine. that may have happened and shortening the barrel was cheaper than rebarreling. according to T.S. uncle albert,one of the i don,t get it crowd.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Never seen one that short, highly doubt it came from the factory that way...