In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

custom bayonet Questions

backwater52backwater52 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Ask the Experts
Can any one tell what bayonet this is? [img][/img]000_0791_zps9c719188.jpg and one more [img][/img]000_0790_zps959f5643.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I was told a WW11 veteran made this after the war where he worked as a pattern and mold maker. the grip material was used in pattern making and seems I've seen it used as an insulator in old electric boxes. the blade is 9 1/8th inch and the knife is 13 and7/8th inch and blood groove is about 6 3/4 in.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see any way that it could be attached to a rifle/shotgun. I would call it a "custom made fighting knife", not a bayonet.

The grips look like some sort of hardwood. Photos really don't show it well.

Neal
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I don't see any way that it could be attached to a rifle/shotgun. I would call it a "custom made fighting knife", not a bayonet.

The grips look like some sort of hardwood. Photos really don't show it well.

Neal

Yep exactly what he said.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Portuguese had a early bolt action made by Mauser. With a similar bayonet, with a blood groove down the center?

EDIT #1,

Dug out my Swede 96 bayonet. Got to agree with you guys. The blade appears identical. The only differences are the markings, "Crowns" "Capital letter C" and "serial number". On the flat portion of the blade just in front of the cross guard. It's possible who ever made the fighting knife/dagger. Deliberately removed them?

B1289-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It started life as a bayonet and was turned into its present form by a fairly talented guy.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking a Swiss birth. The metal color tells me it was a primo pour.
    Probably a K-31 bayo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    closest i found is a M1896 bayonet. the one swede i looked at the groove was to long but could be.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    The guy who made it certainly has (had?) talent! I especially like the scabbard....lots of attention to detail. The "fighting knife" might be a Swede bayo or a Swiss....hard to tell. Rufe could be right too with the Port idea. But if I saw it at a show I would be interested....quite nice.[:)]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The narrow fuller ("blood groove") looks like the all-metal Swedish bayonet.
    Obviously rehilted into a dagger. Nicely done.