In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR15 7.62 conversion to .223

OsageOsage Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
My apologies in advance for asking such a stupid question, but I'm a novice here. I've got an excellent Colt AR15 lightweight sporter, preban in 7.62 caliber. I've definitely decided I'd rather have .223 instead because I've given up trying to find good magazines in 7.62.

My question is: Can I convert my 7.62 to .223? By buying pre ban parts? Thanks for your help!

Ethan

Comments

• Options
    signgod69signgod69 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Osage,
    There are several things you can do in order to change the caliber of your AR. Since you wish to go from a 7.62 (.308) to .223, my advice is to just bite the bullet and grab a preban upper. This way, if you ever decide to go back to the 308, it's a snap. In order to convert to 223, besides new barrel, there is also some upper work that must be done. Basically it's cost. Having your upper reworked can run you in the upper 300's, this includes barrel, a new upper (20" barrel in .223, military bolt carrier assy, A2 hand gaurd, and rear sight assy all put together) which you can change your self will run you $429.97 + shipping or 4 payments of $96.74. Hi cap mags, 40rd, about 20bucks a pop.

Hope this helps, I went through the same thing about 2 years ago with mine. If you want more info, just drop me a line at: ivan@machinegun-sally.com

Chris