In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Changing Bolt-Handle on Yugo Mauser

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Opinions called for, people:

I want to change the bolt-handle on a Yugo 48A Mauser I've refinished, and I'm torn between having a smith--if I can find one here in Omaha--do the cut-off-and-weld-a-new-one routine, or just get one of those Mauser bolt-handle replacement kits for $16 or so, and do it myself. Some people I've talked to say the replacement kit handles are crappy (crappy-looking more than crappy-working, I guess), but on the other hand, I keep hearing stuff like "It'll cost you $100 to get a new one welded on", which seems kinda pricey to me. Insofar as durability, reliability and esthetics go, which should I do?

It amazes me how such a semingly simple thing like this could turn into such a headache...

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Take it from someone who's done a few, SEND IT TO THE SMITH! It's real east to mess up the bolt housing by heat and it is best done with a heat sink which most of us don't have. Check with A&A Gunsmithing in Phx 623-842-1000, They do good work on Mauser bolts if I recall.
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mauser bolt-handle kits don't require welding---you cut off the old handle, drill and tap a hole in the stub, and secure this thing on with a screw with Loc-Tite. Heaven forbid, I'd NEVER try welding a handle on myself---I don't know anything about welding, and don't have the equipment to begin with!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you weld on a Mauser bolt handle you have to re-harden the cocking cam.
    J. Belk has the whole procedure written on this over at the HA gunsmithing forum.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put one of the "bolt-on" ones on a mauser recently & ended up having to use extra- high rings & even then the bolt only clears the scope by about 1/8 in. I would reccommend finding a factory bent-bolt.jmho[:I][:I]
    barto

I didn't do it and I got witnesses!!
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to ship it, Bob Oosterman (Bobs gun shop) will supply the handle and do the welding for $ 50.00 plus tax. I've seen his work. Very good! His Ph. # is 616-688-5701 (Zeeland Mi.)