In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removal of m-1 carbine front sight

Hairtrigger223Hairtrigger223 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I bought a Unversial M-1 at a auction. The front sight is bent a little and I thought of replacing it. I took the allen screw out and knocked a few times but it won't budge. Is there a sight tool for these I could use to get this off or am I just not hitting it hard enough.

Thanks Brian

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to rap it off with a short piece of 2 X 4 or a brass mallet.

Neal
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure which of the several Universal variations you have, but most carbine front sights sit on a "key" in a slot that is milled into the top of the barrel. There is a cross pin through the base of the sight that passes through a half-hole in the top of the key. Driving out the pin allows the sight to be tapped forward off the muzzle. Sometimes crud or rust on the inside of the sight ring prevents easy removal, but like Neal said, a couple of whacks with a non-marring tool should do the job. You can ascertain if your sight was installed this way by observing it from the muzzle end where you can observe a small square hole in the front of the sight base and probably also see the end of the key. Once you get the sight off, observe how the key is installed, as the half-hole is not always perfectly centered and you'll want to reinstall it the same way it comes out to make re-insertion of the pin easy. If your version does not have a key, but only a screw, it is possible that the sight is soldered to the barrel and you may have to heat it enough to melt the solder before it will come off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't think that it is soldered on. It just looks like a band with a allen screw midway into the barrel. But rust is a real possibility being under the band. Maybe a little rust breaker applied then a 2x4 and a mallet could get it going. I will give it a try and get back to you.

Thanks for the help!

Brian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well that did the trick. I took some rust breaker and a torch,heated up the sight and gave it a few big wacks. It took a while to get it moving but finely got it to move. With a few scratches during the process, but with a little premablue it should clean up. I did however discover one problem that I need to address. I need more tools and a better bench. Time to spend a little money, the wife should enjoy that.

Thanks for the big help!!!!

Brian