In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

need ID & value of argentine 1891

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a argentine 1891 # 83xx and stamped 1891 and TABRIKEN under the 1891. don't know if thats a "T" or not since its almost rubbed off. it has a pair of shaking hands stamped on the bolt along with a matching #. I would like to sell it but don't know what to ask for it. can anyone tell me about it, like age and value. it looks a little rough and there is some moderate pitting but it is a good shooter. if it were a newer rifle , I'd rate it poor (50%) but since its 100 years old , its in good condition considering.

thanks - RR

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Do you have a carbine or long rifle?

1891 Argentine Mauser was made by Ludwig and Loewe, Berlin, and also Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken Berlin. I suspect you are seeing part of the last word in fabriken that has been scrubbed or rusted out.

Assuming an all matching scrubbed gun in fair shape, I would say no more than $150. These are fairly common.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • David LeeDavid Lee Member Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be interested in your 1891 Arg. Post it and I will bid on it.

joanneanddavew@cs.com
  • thecowboyacethecowboyace Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Mauser Modelo Aregentino 1891 Deutsche Waffen - Und Munitionsfabricken, Berin rifle chamber for the 7.65 Argentine or also called the 7.65 Belgian Mauser, S/N T8622,no rust, bluing fair with very,very few scratches but a lot of dimples, some of which I think will come out w/ wet rag & iron, bluing worn on scope (no name but has extremely fine reticles in it) and absolutely no fog,recoil pad appears to match original specs and 19 rds Norma 150gr SP for $120. Using the ammo, shooting at 100yd, rds were hitting about 4" high. My guess is that 0 would be about 280yds or so. What is in () came out of Sierra's book (Whether it's referred to as the 7.65x53mm Belgian Mauser or as the 7.65x53mm Argentine, the 7.65x53mm Mauser is a fine cartridge. Introduced in 1889, the 7.65x53mm has been the official military cartridge for many South American and European countries. One can use 30-06 brass to make this cartridge.)

joanneanddavew@cs.com says "The caliber- 7.65X54- does not lend itself to cheap plinking so your rifle has little shooter value either. In the condition you describe I see these rifles moving in the $100 range. I hope this helps you."

I cannot find a 7.65 X 54 in any of my reloading books. I do find a 7.62 Russian which is named out as 7.62 X 54R. This is from Sierra also: (.....these contracts were terminated, and large numbers of Mosin-Nagant M91 rifles were sold here as surplus. The 7.62mm Russian is comparable in performance to other military cartridges adopted around the turn of the century, such as the 30-06 Springfield and the 303 British. Today, it still serves in both sniper rifles and machineguns in the reborn Russian Commonwealth.)
    If I be wrong, please tell me so I can do some updating in my reload books.
    Goat

quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    I have a argentine 1891 # 83xx and stamped 1891 and TABRIKEN under the 1891. don't know if thats a "T" or not since its almost rubbed off. it has a pair of shaking hands stamped on the bolt along with a matching #. I would like to sell it but don't know what to ask for it. can anyone tell me about it, like age and value. it looks a little rough and there is some moderate pitting but it is a good shooter. if it were a newer rifle , I'd rate it poor (50%) but since its 100 years old , its in good condition considering.

thanks - RR

Goat
  • thecowboyacethecowboyace Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I failed to mention that I would not take $500 for the gun, it also has had some trigger work done and I have never felt any blonde babe's hair as smooth and silky as this one's is.
    Goat

quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel

thanks - RR

Goat
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk's assessment of the value of an 1891 Mauser in poor/good condition is about right. Yes, you can make 7.65 mm Argentine from .30-06 brass, and it's not that difficult; I anneal the necks, run them into a full length 7.65 sizer die, then into a 7.65 trim die, cut off the elongated necks and trim to length, deburr, load and shoot--but you may be interested to know that 7.65 mm is one of the newly manufactured (Hornady) obsolete military cartridges offerred by Graf. Many of these rifles were imported in unissued condition and they still are not that uncommon.
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    I hope it ain't the cabine - its about 4 feet long. sheesh & lol.

thanks for the info

RR