In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Finishes -- Parkarize, Roguard, Armor Tough, etc?

sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a highly corrision resistant finish for a firearm (it will be exposed to ocean air and saltwater). Can anyone make a reccomendation?

So far I've run across Robarm's Roguard and Wilson Combat's Armor Tough. Wilson's website seemed to be pretty lacking in information about this coating, though. Do either of these perform better than plain old parkerizing?

Thanks for your input!

". . . let me forget about today until tomorrow"

Comments

• rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago I had a shop re-barrel a rifle. I had them put a Black Crome finish on it (they farmed this out so I don't know who did the finish). It cost about $200 (bolt action) for barrel and action. It looks very good, flat, light black. It is highly rust resistant, but will rub off, ie: in and out of scabbard a lot, just like blueing.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to know what kind of firearm you are talking about.

If it's stainless steel, I recommend that you leave it alone; with minimum care it will do fine in a salt water area. If carbon steel, there are other considerations. Some processes add thickness to the parts coated, so this may create problems with some semi-auto pistols if tolerances are close; other processes bond at the molecular level, and can be used on any gun without changing the dimensions.

My salt water boat gun is a Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine Defender; it has a nickle plated stainless steel barrel, and the rest of the metal has the Sandstrom 9A phosphate coating. With something this good available from the factory, I saw no need to go through the protection application process myself.

Neal
  • sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a shotgun, haven't decided on mfg yet. Was thinking the Mossberg Marine and I could just skip any extra treatment. I'll have to look at the Winchester Defender, also.

Wilson Combat makes the Border Patrol with the Armor Tough finish also, and it is within the price range (at the very top of it), but like I said, they don't have much info about what this finish is.

". . . let me forget about today until tomorrow"
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Mossberg Mariner and love it. It hasn't had to endure your harsh climate though. BTY, I have seen these guns advertised as ss. I believe they really have a satin electroless nickel plateing and are not ss. Correct me if I am wrong here please, nmyers.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.