In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Bore Cleaner?

primertelprimertel Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any ideas on what is the best bore cleaner for copper fouling?

Comments

• Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the best hands down? BLUE WONDER Its the only thing worth using. you'll never wnat anything else

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • Options
    primertelprimertel Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where can I find Blue Wonder
  • Options
    trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maggie's right hands down
    BLUE WONDER.......... check out their website
    www.novumsolutions.com any good gun store should be able to get it for you. If not, e-mail me and I'll send ya a tube. It runs about $10 a tube and it goes a long way
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midway USA: http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/444070

Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1597

You just need the cleaner, not the whole blueing kit.

Blue Wonder's home page is at http://www.novumsolutions.com/GunBlue.html

". . . let me forget about today until tomorrow"
  • Options
    thecowboyacethecowboyace Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by primertel
    Any ideas on what is the best bore cleaner for copper fouling?

Somewhere in a SKS forum talked about building an electrical gadget by running an aluminum rod, several sizes smaller than the bore of your gun, plugging each end w/ a rubber grommet, using a mixture of ammonia, water, and danged can't remember the formula, and hooking each end of the alum rod to each end of a 2 C/D cell flashlite and leaving it hooked up for about 40 min. Reverse electrolysis for the good.

Goat
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammonia, distilled water and hydrogen peroxide, all in equal parts. Keep in a light proof container. You don't even really need the aluminum rod as this is the old bore cleaner used by match shooters back in the 1950's before we had all the different bore cleaners that we have today. Most of today's bore cleaners still use ammonia as a base. One other thing, don't get any of this mixture on the blueing or stock finish and oil the bore when you are finished cleaning.
  • Options
    trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Cowboy. I believe the missing ingredient is baking soda.
    You can do basically the same thing without the batteries and ammonia, which by the way produces flammable fumes. Just use the foil rod, 1-quart of HOT water and 1-tbsp of baking soda. This is the Electrolytic method, which works by means of ion exchange. It causes a chemical reaction between the metals.
    Ketchup and lemon juice as well as non-gel toothpaste are also very corrosive to copper. If you clean copper items with any of these be sure to wash it in warm soapy water afterwards to prevent etching.

Primertel: be safe and get some "BLUE WONDER"
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Blue Wonder, but am very fond of MPro 7. The reason is that it has no smell. I really don't care much one way or the other about odors of gun cleaners, but the lady of the house does and most of the cleaners and lubricants use petroleum distalates that aren't the most appealing to the nose.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SWEET'S 7.62 Bore Solvent is what we use around here. Quick and does a fantastic job, www.midwayusa.com has it all the time, bout $7.50 a btl. If your bore is way nasty, try JB Bore Cleaner paste, really shines bore up. Have fun!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a mixture of 1 part gum-out carb cleaner to 2 parts marvel mystery oil. If its really dirty or if it fouls badly then use the jb bore paste.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out