In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How long can a new gun remain in cosmoline?

formulaoneformulaone Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I think the suject says it all. I have some guns that were packaged new in cosmoline and are still that way. Since I don't intend to fire them, should I clean them up or leave them as is? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is kind of a tough one to answer without knowing the conditions under which the firearms are stored. If kept in a low-moderate temperature and humidity environment, firearms properly preserved with cosmolene will last indefinately. In a high humidity, high temperature environment moisture can work its way between the preservative and metal and rust anyway. This was found to be the case in W.W.II in the South Pacific where heavily preserved aircraft parts and machinery were observed tp sustain corrosion at a much higher rate than lightly oiled and frequently maintained items. Given the former circumstances, a periodic inspection should suffice.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cosmoline is a preservative that was intended to keep firearms from rusting forever. It's basically thick grease. There have been rifles, 1903's mostly, that have been in cosmoline since WW I, nearly 100 years now, that when cleaned are just fine. It does dry out, however, and it cakes when it dries. Mineral spirits takes it off without hurting the rifle in any way.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to believe anything could get between cosmoline and the metal. The bond is incredible. Military small arms and parts were additionally wrapped over the cosmoline with a brown waxy paper or cloth.
    I'm of the opinion it's a permanent preservation process.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt it was cosmoline, but my great-grandfather packed away his Civil War sidearm in some sort of grease preservative on his return to civilian life and my parents only discovered it when they sold the family homestead and moved, some 94 years later. It was in beautiful condition; only the nipples on the cylinder had rusted. I would venture to guess there will not be a problem for so long as the firearm is sealed off from air / moisture.