In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK RECEIVER TOOLS

DANNY BOYDANNY BOY Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
MY QUESTION RELATES TO THE STAMPED RECEIVER ON AKs. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN SUCH AN ANIMAL THAT COMES IN TOOL FORM THAT I COULD USE TO MAKE BENDS THAT WOULD BE A TOLERABLE AS THE MAKERS SPECS ARE? I AM UP GRADING MY ABILITIES TO REPAIR AKs IN KOMMYFORNIA, SINCE WE CAN BUY NEW RECEIVERS. I HAVE HAD ATLEAST 4 CUSTOMERS WITH PROBLEMS THAT COME BACK TO THE MENTIONED ITEM. THAT FOR YOUR ASSIST AND TO ADD I DONT BUY THE 80%, FOR I FEEL THAT JUST BEING OFF A MIC CAN TRASH A VERY HARD TO GET PART.[?]

WELL EEEXXXCCCCUUUSSSSEEEE MEEE FOR BREATHING AIR

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Danny, turn off your caps lock as it is not considered polite (it means that you are shooting at me) and is incredibly irritating. With that out of the way I can tell you that there are indeed a few firms who offer these AK receivers as stamped flats awaiting your assembly. One firm which comes to mind is FAC of America- AKA "Guns and Stuff". For $49.95 they sell a stamped flat with all of the holes drilled, the magazine housing indentations in place, and the internal rails installed. Part #AKFLAT and you can reach them at 763-780-8780.

Of course you must realize that as soon as you turn those receivers into any sort of firearm they will be prohibited under our states assault weapons regulations. Any AK type which you may manufacture will become a Catagory II assault weapon as it will be deemed to be functionally identical to an AK-47 banned under the old Roos-Roberti AW legislation. The cut of date for registration on these CAT II rifles was 31 December, 2000. Remember that under Catagory II the rifle does not need to have any of the prohibited generic features (thumbhole stock, pistol grip, flash hidder, ect.), the simple fact that it is an AK type makes it prohibited.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    nitrouznitrouz Member Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bending sheetmetal is a fairly easy task and to mass produce identical pieces you need to make a sheetmetal brake to clamp down the center section and bend the sides up. Total cost to make the tool is under $50.

But making receivers in California even as replacements for 'legal' rifles does not make sense. If the rifle is legal the firearm holder will have a California 'Assault weapon possession and transportation permit' that will allow you to buy another one as a replacement anyways which must be added to the permit within 90 days. Am I correct Mark?